Subject: Action Alert/Volunteer Opportunities - Oppose Anti-Gay & Lesbian Bills
From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 1996 20:58:52 -0400

FM:  Eric-Joseph C. Astacaan, Public Policy Associate
        Los Angeles Gay & Lesbian Center

TO:  Everyone

RE:  Anti-Same Gender Marriage Bills in the California State Legislature
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
---------------------------------
ACTION ALERT & VOLUNTEER OPPORTUNITIES:
Please cross-post as widely as possible!!!

Action Alert!!!
Here Comes Another Anti-Gay and Lesbian Bill
We Must All Act NOW to Stop it!!!

Before the California State Senate has even held hearings on the first
anti-marriage bill, AB 1982, Assemblymember Pete Knight has introduced
its evil twin, Assembly Bill 3227.  Like its predecessor, AB 3227
would deny recognition of same-gender marriages performed legally in
other states -- rendering legal Hawaiian marriages (pending Baehr v.
Lewin's success) illegal in California.  We must not allow right wing
extremists to have their hatred of gay and lesbian Americans become
official government policy.

All across the United States, state legislatures are attempting to enact
laws that would prohibit same-gender marriage.  These efforts have been
turned back in a dozen states.  We can do the same here in California.

                    Lou Sheldon, Focus on the Family,
          and other anti-gay and lesbian forces are mobilizing!
                                    
          HERE'S WHAT MUST BE DONE TO DEFEAT THEM!

    SEND LETTERS OPPOSING AB 3227 TO THE
    FOLLOWING  ASSEMBLYMEMBERS:

                       Honorable ______________
                       California State Assembly
                       P.O. Box 942849
                       Sacramento, CA  94249-0001
                            
Hon. Brian Setencich (R-Fresno)         
Hon. Mike Machado (D-Stockton)
Hon. Sal Cannella (D-Modesto)           
Hon. Bruce McPherson (R-Santa Cruz)     
Hon. Jim Cunneen (R-San Jose)          
Hon. Marilyn Brewer (R-Newport Beach)
Hon. Joe Baca (D-San Bernardino)     
Hon. Cruz Bustamante (D-Fresno/Tulare)
Hon. Louis Caldera (D-Los Angeles)   
Hon. Dom Cortese (I-San Jose)
Hon. Steve Kuykendall (R-Palos Verdes)
Hon. Willard Murray (D-Compton)
Hon. Curtis Tucker (D-Inglewood)

SHORT, PERSONAL HANDWRITTEN LETTERS HAVE THE MOST
IMPACT IN GETTING YOUR MESSAGE ACROSS.

Please see sample letter below.

Sample Letter:

                                                     April ___, 1996

Dear Assemblymember ______________________:

(Write something personal about yourself, e.g., As a California resident),
I am strongly OPPOSED TO AB 3227, the bill that would bar the
recognition of same-gender marriage in California.

These bills serve no purpose other than to discriminate.  They are an
embarrassment to the State of California.

                                                      Sincerely,

                                                      Signature
                                                      Print Name
                                                      Address and/or Phone #
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
---------------------

VOLUNTEER OPPORTUNITIES

The L.A. Freedom to Marry Coalition is conducting a letter writing
campaign to oppose Assembly Bills 3227 and 1982.  Both bills, in effect,
will bar recognition of same-gender marriages in California.

Currently, we have a number of events scheduled wherein you
may have time to volunteer.  Below please find the schedule:

     April 23rd, 6 - 8 p.m., L.A. Gay & Lesbian Center's Lobby

     April 26th, 6 - 8 p.m., L.A. Gay & Lesbian Center's Lobby.

     April 26th, 9 p.m. to midnight, W. Hollywood Street/Cafe Outreach.

If you are interested in volunteering, please e-mail us back at

                    [email-masked]

If you have any question, please call (213) 860-7350.

Thank you.  In Solidarity!!!