Subject: California: AB 1982 UpDate
From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 1996 09:34:12 -0500

AB 1982 UpDate...

The only constant in politics is change...  so be prepared for contradictory
information as to what is next or what is likely for this bill!!

AB 1982 will be heard by the Senate Rules Committee this week (every bill
goes thru Rules) -- their only job will be to assign AB 1982 to the
appropriate committee(s) for hearing(s).

In discussions with leadership, it now seems likely that AB 1982 will go to
the full Judiciary Committee for a hearing.  Unless, of course, it goes to
Judiciary's SubComittee on Family Law first.  (This is the part where it
feels like walking on shifting sands).

What to do:
TARGET ALL SENATORS ON SENATE JUDICIARY COMMITTEE!  With a special emphasis
on the three Senators who make up the subcommittee on Family Law, plus the
Senators whose votes are essential to keep the bill from passing in a vote of
the full committee...  the following list gives their counties and major
cities within their district:

Right now AB 1982 will be heard in Judiciary Committee in 4-6 weeks.  This
could change.  It could be sooner.  WRITE NOW !!  Handwritten letters are
better than e-mail (sorry, rueful grin).

Charles Calderson (Chair) (on both):  
   Los Angeles County: Bell Gardens, Norwalk, Huntington Beach, Whittier

Henry Mello (on Family Law SubCommittee)
   Monterey, San Benito, Santa Clara and Santa Cruz counties

Cathie Wright (on both)
   Los Angeles/Ventura:  Simi Valley, Thousand Oaks, Oxnard

Tim Leslie
   Alpine, Amador, Butte, Calaveras, El Dorado, Lassen, Modoc, Mono, Nevada,
Placer,
   Plumas, Sierra, and Yuba Counties:  South Lake Tahoe, Truckee.

Ray Haynes
   Riverside/San Diego counties:  Corona, Hemet, Riverside, Sun City.

Bill Lockyer
   Alameda/Santa Clara counties:  Fremont, Hayward, San Jose.

Milton Marks
   Marin/San Francisco/Sonoma Counties:  Petaluma, San Francisco, San Rafael.

Jack O'Connell
   San Luis Obispo / Santa Barbara  / Ventura counties:  Santa Barbara,
Ventura, Ojai 

Nick Petris
   Alameda/Contra Costa Counties:  Alameda, Berkeley, Oakland, Richmond.

Hilda Solis
   Los Angeles County:  Alhambra, Baldwin Park, El Monte, San Gabriel.

Address all letters to their Capitol offices:

The Honorable [name of Senator]
State Capitol
Sacramento, CA 95814

Dear Senator [last name]
        Vote NO on AB 1982.  etc., etc., 

We must, in the next 4-6 weeks, really make a strong presence in their mail
boxes!!
Constituent visits in their districts are essential!  And if any of you want
to come to Sacramento to lobby here, please call me -- we will help you set
it up!

Laurie McBride
LIFE: California's Lesbian/Gay and AIDS Lobby
phone:  916 444 0424

fax:  916 444 3059
e-mail: [email-masked]