From: [email-masked] (Rex Wockner)
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 1994 09:56:27 -0700 (PDT)

STRAIGHT CONTINGENT BARRED FROM SAN DIEGO PRIDE PARADE

by Rex Wockner

SAN DIEGO--The organizers of the July 16 gay-pride parade have
rejected the application of a contingent called "Normal People,"
a group of heterosexuals who want to march in protest of the gay
political agenda.
        The ad-hoc group came together as a result of discussions on
a daily radio talk show hosted by anti-gay former San Diego Mayor
Roger Hedgecock.
        A spokesman for the straights, Win Housley, said the group
will now seek a state- or federal-court injunction allowing them
to enter the parade.
        Lesbian and Gay Pride spokesman Larry Baza said the board of
directors banned the group because their message is "exactly the
opposite" of the parade's message.
        "They cannot be ... in our march because they are not a part
of us," Baza said.
        Since San Diego has a law banning discrimination based on
sexual orientation (gay or straight) by entities that are open to
the public, the straights would need to get a judge to rule that
the parade is a public not a private event.
        The amount of financial and other support provided by the
city to the parade could be a factor in determining whether it is
a public accommodation legally open to anyone.
        In somewhat similar cases in the east, courts have issued
conflicting rulings. The organizers of New York City's St.
Patrick's Day parade were allowed to ban gay Irish marchers,
while the organizers of Boston's St. Patrick's Day parade were
ordered to welcome a gay contingent. They responded by cancelling
their parade.

== END ==