From: [email-masked] (Rex Wockner)
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 1994 02:27:34 -0700 (PDT)

BAJA NEWS #3 FOR THE GAY&LESBIAN TIMES

MEXICAN GAYS MAKE DEMANDS OF U.N. OFFICIALS
by Rex Wockner

NEW YORK--Twelve Mexican gay/lesbian activists met with and
issued demands to officials of the Mexican mission to the United
Nations June 27.
        The gay leaders, who were in town for the Stonewall 25
march, insisted that Mexico's U.N. brass: (1) reveal their
position on the International Lesbian and Gay Association's
controversial U.N. consultative status, (2) press Mexican police
to launch a more thorough investigation of the recent murders of
up to 25 gays and transvestites in the state of Chiapas, and (3)
urge Mexican education authorities to improve teaching about
homosexuality in schools.
        According to Alejandro Garcia of Tijuana, one of the
activists who attended the meeting, the U.N. officials promised
to pass on the demands to Mexico's secretary of state, foreign
minister, attorney general and secretary of public education.
        "This is a major step for the gays and lesbians of Mexico,"
said Jose Navarro of Tijuana's Grupo  Y Que?, who also attended
the meeting.

GAYS SHOW THEIR FACES IN ENSENADA
by Rex Wockner

ENSENADA, Baja California Norte--More than 200 gays turned out
June 5 for the "Miss Mundo Fantasia Gay" pageant, according to
Manuel Del Rio Arce, director of Hippocampo, the tiny gay-rights
group here.
        There were 11 female-impersonator contestants. "India" (Pepe
Saray) was crowned World Miss Fantasy Gay.
        The pageant was held at the city's Convention Center, a
groundbreaking event in itself, Del Rio Arce said. 

== END ==