Subject: California Initiative Measure
From: [email-masked] (Bryan J. Blumberg)
To: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 18 Dec 1991 09:52:04 -0800

Any California Registered Voters desiring to circulate petitions
to put "EMPLOYMENT DISCRIMINATION.  SEXUAL ORIENTATION.  INITIATIVE
STATUTE." on the November 1992 ballot, are encouraged to send a
stamped self addressed envelope to:

         COALITION FOR LESBIAN AND GAY EQUALITY
         P.O. Box 692008
         West Hollywood, CA   90069

Please do so as soon as possible.  There are only 90 days in which
over 600,000 valid signatures must be gathered.  Each petition has
room for 12 signatures.

INITIATIVE MEASURE TO BE SUBMITTED DIRECTLY TO THE VOTERS
The Attorney General of California has prepared the following title
and summary of the chief pupose and points of the proposed measure:

EMPLOYMENT DISCRIMINATION.  SEXUAL ORIENTATION.  INITIATIVE STATUTE.
Measure prohibits employment discrimination based on sexual
orientation (heterosexuality, bisexuality, homosexuality) under
provisions of the Fair Employment and Housing Act, as it now exists
or is amended in the future.  Retains exemption from this law for
non-profit religious associations and corporations.  Declares that
this law does not require or permit quotas or other such affirmative
action, and does not invalidate policies which benefit married
couples, if such policies are otherwise legal.  Summary of estimate of
Legislative Analyst and Director of Finance of fiscal impact on
state and local governments:  Annual state administrative costs up
to $500,000 for Department of Fair Employment and Housing; unknown
fiscal effect on local courts, depending on measure's effect on number
of civil suits filed.

To the Honorable Secretary of State of California:

     We, the undersigned, registered, qualified voters of California,
residents of __________ County, hereby propose amendments to the government
code relating to employment discrimination and petition the Secretary
of State to submit the same to voters of California for their adoption
or rejection at the next succeeding general election or at any special
statewide election held prior to the general election or otherwise
provided by law.  The proposed statutory amendments read as follows:

Section 1.  Employment discrimination based on sexual orientation 
(heterosexuality, bisexuality or homosexuality) is illegal.  This law
prohibits employment discrimination based on sexual orientation under
the state law which prohibits employment discrimination based on
religion, marital status, sex, race and national origin (the Fair
Employment and Housing Act).  Therefore, "sexual orientation" is added
to each list in the employment sections of the
Fair Employment and Housing Act which includes religion, marital status,
sex, race, and national origin.

Section 2.  Religious associations and religious corporations (no matter
how they are incorporated) not organized for private profit are now
exempt from the employment sections of the Fair Employment and Housing
Act.  This law does not change that.

Section 3.  This law does not reauire or permit the imposition of
quotas or other such affirmative action.

Section 4.  This law does not invalidate any policy which gives any
benefits to married couples as long as the policy is otherwise legal.

Section 5.  "The employment sections of the Fair Employment and Housing
Act" means that law as it reads now or as it may be changed in the future.

All signers of this petition must be registered in ______________ County

Notice To The Public:  This petition may be circulated by a paid
signature gatherer or a vounteer.  You have the right to ask.