Subject: ACTION ALERT: Calls still needed on HB2524; DP benefits ban
From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 21 Feb 1999 15:30:24 EST

ARIZONA HUMAN RIGHTS FUND

ACTION ALERT

ANTI-DOMESTIC PARTNERSHIP BILL ADVANCES

Update:  Calls are still needed on HB 2524.   HB 2524 is on the Committee of
the Whole calendar for Monday, February 22.

BACKGROUND:  Rep Karen Johnson (R-Mesa) has introduced legislation that would
prohibit counties, cities, and towns from providing health or accident
coverage to "domestic partners" of their employees.  This ban would apply to
community colleges and the universities as well.  Domestic partners are
defined as "nonmarried cohabitating persons except parents and their
children."  AHRF is encouraging its supporters to oppose this bill which would
eliminate the ability of government entities in Arizona to provide domestic
partner benefits to its gay and lesbian employees.

The legislation is in the form of a strike everything amendment to HB 2524.
HB 2524 passed the Government Reform and Rules committee and is scheduled to
be voted on by the full house on Monday, February 22.

ACTION REQUIRED:

1) Call these five targeted Representatives.  These Representatives are
considered swing votes.  They are listed in order of priority.  Ask them to
vote against HB 2524 as it takes local control away from cities and counties.
Please be polite and courteous.

1.  Rep. Barbara Leff        (602) 542-5863
2.  Rep. Barry Wong          (602) 542-5836
3.  Rep. Laura Knaperek      (602) 542-5169
4.  Rep. Wes Marsh           (602) 542-5503
5.  Rep. Jeff Hatch-Miller   (602) 542-5051

2)  Call both of your State Representatives.  Encourage them to oppose HB
2524.

For a list of phone numbers of Representatives go to the ALIS system at:

http://www.azleg.state.az.us/members/members.htm

3)   WRITE THEM.  Letters can be sent to 1700 W. Washington, Phoenix, AZ
85007 or faxed to (602) 542-3689.  Address them to: The Honorable [member
name].

4)   E-MAIL THEM.  Links to e-mail addresses can be found at the ALIS address
above.

For the copy of the bill and status of HB 2524 goto:

http://www.azleg.state.az.us/legtext/44leg/1r/bills/h501-550.htm#HB2524

If you are outside of Maricopa County you may call 1-800-352-8404 and they
will connect you with the appropriate office.  If you do not know which
legislative district you live in, visit the above web page and see their map,
check the back of your voter card or call the House Information desk at (602)
542-4221.  You can contact all legislators, regardless of district.

ARIZONA HUMAN RIGHTS FUND
P.O. Box 25044
Phoenix, AZ  85002

voice mail:  (602) 650-0900
fax:  (602) 650-0901
e-mail:  [email-masked]

NOTE: To be added or removed from our e-mail Action Alert list please e-mail
us.