Subject: (AZ) Action Alert: Archaic laws repeal bill to be heard
From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 15 Feb 1997 20:37:41 -0500 (EST)

ARIZONA HUMAN RIGHTS FUND

ACTION ALERT

ARCHAIC LAWS REPEAL ALERT

BACKGROUND:  There are currently four archaic laws on the books in Arizona
that are used to discriminate against gays and lesbians.  These include
"notorious crime against nature" (i.e. sodomy), lewd and lascivious,
adultery, and cohabitation.  These laws are used to deny gays and lesbians
employment, housing, and even custody of their children.  There are also used
as excuses for enacting anti-gay legislation including banning gay and
lesbian clubs from universities and other schools.  On the urging of AHRF,
House Bill 2538 "ARCHAIC LAWS REPEAL" has been introduced in the Arizona
Legislature.

TALKING POINTS:
-  These archaic laws criminalize many forms of sexual expression between
consenting adults, including married couples, and cover heterosexual as well
as homosexual activity.

-  Sexual expression of love between two consenting adults is a deeply
private and intimate matter which should not be regulated by our criminal
code.

-  These laws are historic relics.

-  Although these laws are not frequently enforced, they are often used to
stigmatize and hurt individuals.  They are often selectively cited to justify
discriminatory measures against gays and lesbians by branding them as
"criminals."

- By keeping these laws in force, the State of Arizona passively sanctions
and supports discrimination based on sexual orientation.

ACTION NEEDED:  HB 2538 has been assigned to the Arizona House Judiciary
Committee and will be heard on Wednesday,  February 19, 1997 at 1:00 pm in
Housing Hearing Room #2 at the Capitol (Note: This is a change from the
normal starting time of 1:30 pm).  The Capitol is at 1700 W. Washington,
Phoenix.  After Judiciary the bill will then go onto the Rules Committee.
 Phone calls, e-mails, and faxed letters are needed to members of both
committees.  Your phone calls and letters will make a difference!

If you are interested in testifying at the Judiciary committee hearing please
e-mail AHRF.

1)   CALL MEMBERS OF THE HOUSE JUDICIARY COMMITTEE.  Urge them to support HB
2538; archaic laws repeal.

                    43rd Arizona House Judiciary

 Mark Anderson      D29  R  [email-masked]  (602) 542-4371
 Mike Gardner (c)   D27  R  [email-masked]  (602) 542-5896
 Gail Griffin       D8   R  [email-masked]  (602) 542-5761
 Benjamin Hanley    D3   D  [email-masked]   (602) 542-5862
 Tom Horne          D24  R  [email-masked]    (602) 542-5977
 John Loredo        D22  D  [email-masked]   (602) 542-5830
 Wes Marsh (vc)     D28  R  [email-masked]    (602) 542-5503
 Paul Newman        D8   D  [email-masked]   (602) 542-5058
 Lela Steffey       D29  R  [email-masked]  (602) 542-5760
 Roberta Voss       D19  R  [email-masked]     (602) 542-5168
 Christine Weason   D25  D  [email-masked]   (602) 542-3297

c = chair
vc = vice-chair

Note:  Rep. Mike Gardner (R-Tempe) is now the Chair of Judiciary.  Former
Chair Rep. John Verkamp (R-Flagstaff) has taken a leave of absence for health
reasons.  Verkamp's slot on the committee is now held by Rep. Gail Griffin
(R-Sierra Vista).

Links to members of the House Judiciary Committee can be found at:

http://www.azleg.state.az.us/committe/hjud.htm

2)    CALL MEMBERS OF THE HOUSE RULES COMMITTEE.  Ask Chair Rep. Weiers to
hear HB 2538.  Urge committee members to support HB 2538.

                         43rd Arizona House Rules Committee

 Lori Daniels       D6   R  [email-masked]  (602) 542-5898
 David Eberhart     D19  R  [email-masked]  (602) 542-1859
 Susan Gerard       D18  R  [email-masked]   (602) 542-5766
 Art Hamilton       D22  D  [email-masked]  (602) 542-3392
 Benjamin Hanley    D3   D  [email-masked]   (602) 542-5862
 Joe Hart           D2   R  [email-masked]     (602) 542-4079
 Bob McLendon       D5   D  [email-masked]  (602) 542-4430
 Jerry Overton      D15  R  [email-masked]  (602) 542-5894
 Rebecca Rios       D7   D  [email-masked]     (602) 542-5030
 Roberta Voss (vc)  D19  R  [email-masked]     (602) 542-5168
 Christine Weason   D25  D  [email-masked]   (602) 542-3297
 Jim Weiers (c)     D16  R  [email-masked]   (602) 542-4639
 Barry Wong         D18  R  [email-masked]     (602) 542-5836

c = chair
vc = vice-chair

Links to members of the House Rules Committee can be found at:

http://www.azleg.state.az.us/committe/hrules.htm

3)   WRITE THEM.  Letters can be sent to 1700 W. Washington, Phoenix, AZ
 85007 or faxed to (602) 542-4511.  Address them to: The Honorable [member
name].

4)   E-MAIL THEM.  See above for e-mail addresses.

Links to all members of the Arizona House of Representatives can be found at:

http://www.azleg.state.az.us/members/members.htm

For the copy of the bill and status of HB 2538 go to:

http://www.azleg.state.az.us/legtext/43leg/1r/bills/h501-550.htm#HB2538

If you are outside of Maricopa County you may call 1-800-352-8404 and they
will connect you with the appropiate office.  If you do not know which
legislative district you live in, visit the above web page and see their map,
check the back of your voter card or call the House Information desk at (602)
542-4221.  You can contact all legislators, regardless of district.

ARIZONA HUMAN RIGHTS FUND
P.O. Box 25044
Phoenix, AZ  85002

voice mail:  (602) 530-1660
fax:  (602) 254-7695
e-mail:  [email-masked]

NOTE: To be added or removed from our e-mail Action Alert list please e-mail
us.