Subject: (AZ) HATE CRIMES BILL PASSES HOUSE, GOES TO GOVERNOR
From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 19 Apr 1996 19:40:05 -0400

ACTION ALERT ACTION ALERT ACTION ALERT

HB2050 - "HATE CRIMES" BILL HOUSE HEADS TO GOVERNOR

House Bill 2050, the hate crimes bill, will enhance penalties for crimes that
are committed because of the victim's race, religion, color, disability,
gender, sexual orientation, national origin or ancestry.  The Arizona Human
Rights Fund is supporting this bill.   HB2050 passed the Arizona Senate by a
vote of 21 to 9.  HB2050 passed the Arizona House by a vote of 34 to 23.  The
bill now goes to Governor Fife Symington for his veto or signature.

Members of the Arizona Hate Crimes Task Force believe that the bill will be
"dead" this year if it remains assigned to the States' Rights Committee.  The
Judiciary Committee is the appropriate committee for this bill to be heard.
 The Speaker of the House has the power and responsibility to assign bills to
or remove bills from committees.

1.  Call Governor Fife Symington at 602-542-4331 or 1-800-253-0883 and ask
him to sign HB2050.

2. Follow up with a personal letters. Letters can be addressed to:

Governor Fife Symington
1700 W. Washington
Phoenix, AZ  85007

or fax them to (602) 542-7601

Remember, all calls and letters should be non-confrontational and polite.

Note: If you are also calling on SB1038 "Same sex marriages" please keep
phone calls and letters separate from calls and letters on HB2050.

The Arizona Legislative Information Service (ALIS) can be found at:

http://www.azleg.state.az.us/

Through ALIS you can access text of bills, floor and committee votes, members
bios, etc.

Status of HB2050 "hate crimes" can be found at:

http://www.azleg.state.az.us/legtext/42leg/2r/bills/hb2050o.htm

Text of HB2050 "Hate Crimes" can be found at:

http://www.azleg.state.az.us/legtext/42leg/2r/bills/hb2050s.htm

Please forward this message!

--------------------------------------------------------------
ARIZONA HUMAN RIGHTS FUND
P.O. Box 25044
Phoenix, AZ  85002

voice mail:  (602) 530-1660
fax:  (602) 275-7384
e-mail:  [email-masked] 
hypertext link:  mailto:[email-masked]

NOTE: To be added or removed from our e-mail Action Alert list please e-mail
us.