Subject: (AZ) Governor signs same-sex marriage ban bill
From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 3 May 1996 01:55:36 -0400

ARIZONA HUMAN RIGHTS FUND

SYMINGTON SIGNS SAME-SEX MARRIAGE BAN

Arizona Governor Symington signed into law SB 1038 (NOW: Same sex marriages)
on Wednesday, May 5, 1996.   SB1038 prohibits same-sex marriages in Arizona
and prohibits the recognition of same-sex marriages performed in other
states.  SB1038 passed the Arizona House by a vote of 50 YES, 5 NO, and 5 NOT
VOTING on April 12.  SB 1038 passed the Arizona Senate by a vote of 21 YES, 9
NO on April 18.   Arizona joins five other states who have passed bans -
Utah, South Dakota, Idaho, Georgia, and Kansas.

The bill was the third attempt by ultra-conservative lawmakers to pass a
same-sex mariage ban. The firsttwo attempts had been thwarted in the House of
Representatives; by questions of violations of the State Open Meetings Law
and through parliamentary maneuvering by openly gay State Representative Ken
Cheuvront.

But, like the "Friday the 13th" slasher movies, the same-sex marriage ban was
resurrected. S.B. 1038, was sponsored by Rep. David Farnsworth (R-Snowflake),
and was given the green light by Legislative leaders.

Capitol sources stated that Governor Symington and House Speaker Mark
Killian, (R-Mesa), agreed to continue the session until a same-sex marriage
ban had been approved by both houses.

High point:  Senator Goudinoff (D-Tuscon) commented "Passing a bill like
this, 30
or 40 years from now, is going to look at best foolish." on the Senate floor.

Low point: "Why shouldn't a person be able to marry anything, a head of
lettuce, a cow? Why stop there?" - State Rep. Robert Blendu (R-Phoenix)
urging the state to pass legislation refusing to recognize same-sex
marriages. (Tucson Citizen, 4/13/96)

Comments can be made to Governor Fife Symington at his web page comment form
at http://www.state.az.us/gov/post

Thank the members of the Arizona State Legislature who voted against SB1038:

SB1038 Senate "NO" Votes - 9 total

 Name                Dist. Party Email                      Phone
 Chris Cummiskey     25    D    [email-masked]  602-542-4916
 Randall Gnant       28    R    [email-masked]    602-542-4138
 Peter Goudinoff     11    D    [email-masked]  602-542-5262
 Mary Hartley        20    D    [email-masked]  602-542-4485
 James Henderson     3     D    [email-masked]  602-542-4323
 Patricia Noland     13    R    In process...               602-542-5911
 Victor Soltero      10    D    [email-masked]  602-542-5342
 Carol Springer      1     R    [email-masked]  602-542-5584
 Austin Turner       15    R    [email-masked]   602-542-4173

Letters can be sent to:
The Honorable [Member Name]
Arizona State Senate
1700 W. Washington
Phoenix, AZ  85007

or faxed to (602) 542-3429

SB1038 House "NO" Votes - 5 total

 Name                Dist. Party Email                      Phone
 Ken Cheuvront       25    D    [email-masked] 602-542-5895
 Jorge Luis Garcia   11    D    [email-masked]   602-542-3395
 Joe Eddie Lopez     22    D    [email-masked]    602-542-5830
 Ruben F. Ortega     8     D    [email-masked]   602-542-5761
 Elaine Richardson   11    D    In process...               602-542-4893

Letters can be sent to:
The Honorable [Member Name]
Arizona House of Representatives
1700 W. Washington
Phoenix, AZ  85007

or faxed to (602) 542-4208
---------------------------
Web pages and e-mail links to members of the Senate can be found at:

http://www.azleg.state.az.us/members/senate.htm
http://www.azleg.state.az.us/members/house.htm

Web page for the Governor can be found at:

http://www.state.az.us/gov/

The Arizona Legislative Information Service (ALIS) can be found at:

http://www.azleg.state.az.us/

Through ALIS you can access text of bills, floor and committee votes, members
bios, etc.

Status of Senate Bill 1038 "NOW: Same sex marriages" can be found at:

http://www.azleg.state.az.us/legtext/42leg/2r/bills/sb1038o.htm

Text of SB1038 "Same Sex Marriages" can be found at:

http://www.azleg.state.az.us/legtext/42leg/2r/bills/sb1038h.htm
-----------------------------

ARIZONA HUMAN RIGHTS FUND
P.O. Box 25044
Phoenix, AZ  85002

voice mail:  (602) 530-1660
fax:  (602) 275-7384
e-mail:  [email-masked]

NOTE: To be added or removed from our e-mail Action Alert list please e-mail
us.