Subject: 11TH Annual Finals Rodeo-Phoneix, AZ
From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 04 Sep 1997 07:53:27 -0700 (MST)

INTERNATIONAL GAY RODEO ASSOCIATION
11TH ANNUAL FINALS RODEO
ANNUAL FINALS ROYALTY COMPETITION

OCTOBER 23-26, 1997
PHOENIX, ARIZONA

For Immediate Release: September 4, 1997
contact Thom Sloan, IGRA PR Spokesperson @ [505] 262-2670

The International Gay Rodeo Association [IGRA] announces its 11th annual Finals
Rodeo of Champions and the Finals Royalty Competition, October 23-26, 1997 in
Phoenix, Arizona, USA. All events will be held at the Corona Ranch and Rodeo
Grounds, SE corner of 29th Avenue and Baseline Road.

The IGRA has previously held Finals Rodeos in San Francisco, CA; Reno, NV;
Denver, CO; Ft. Worth, TX; Wichita, KS; and Albuquerque, NM. This will be the
fourth time that Phoenix has been the site for and the Arizona Gay Rodeo
Association [AGRA] has hosted the IGRA Finals Rodeo.

The Grand Marshal for this year's Finals Rodeo is Mr. Tom Vance of Minnepolis,
MN. Tom is the current President of IGRA, serving his second year in that
office. He was elected as Grand Marshal at the IGRA Convention this past July
in Salt Lake City, UT.   

The IGRA Finals Rodeo is a chartiable event, as are all IGRA rodeos. Net
proceeds from the weekend's activities will benefit many health and social
agencies in the Phoenix area. As all IGRA member associations, AGRA is made up
entirely of volunteers who give of their time and resources to rpoduce a
high-quality rodeo and entertainment event. 

The Finals Rodeo features the top five [5] contestants in each event from each
of the four IGRA divisions across the United States and Canada. Contestants
qualify for the Finals Rodeo by having the highest scores from the 17 regional
rodeos held throughout the rodeo year [November 1 to October 31]. IGRA rodeos
feature traditional rodeo events such as Bull Riding, Bareback Bronc Riding
Barrel Racing, Team Roping and 9 others in all. IGRA rodeos are intended to be
amateur events and each event is open to open to men and women equally.
Contestants are competing for the title of "International Champion" in each
event. That title goes to the person or team with the highest score or best 
time for the two days of rodeo. Contestants also win money, buckles and ribbons
for their efforts. 

IGRA rules are strictly enforced at all IGRA sanctioned rodeos in order to
guard the health and safety of both contestants and rodeo animals at all times.  
The IGRA endorses the promotion of animal welfare and the humane, responsible
treatment of animals in their housing, feeding, training, exercising and
competition. Any contestant, official or contracted personnel are immediately
disqualified or reprimanded for treating animals in an inhumane manner. 

Another part of the IGRA Finals Rodeo weekend is the IGRA Royalty Competition.
Representatives from member associations will compete for the titles of Mr. Ms.
and Miss IGRA 1998 at the Corona Ranch and Rodeo Grounds from Thursday, October
23rd to Saturday night, October 25th when the winners are announced. The IGRA
Royalty represent IGRA at many functions and at local rodeos throughout the
coming year and help to organize fund-raising activities both on behalf of
member associations and IGRA as well as local charities. 

Tickets to the Finals Rodeo are $12 per day and admission to the evening
dances is free! Children under the age of 12 are admitted free to all events.
All events are to be held at the Corona Ranch and Rodeo Grounds in Phoenix, AZ. 

For more information about the schedule for rodeo and royalty competition
events, please call the AGRA Rodeo Hotline at [602] 265-0618 or consult the
AGRA website at www.agra-phx.com. You may also consult the IGRA website at
www.igra.com.

For more information regarding IGRA, please contact Thom Sloan at [505]
272-2670 or E-mail to [email-masked]. 

Everyone is welcome to come out to Phoenix and enjoy the great American
tradition of rodeo. Let's Rodeo! 
of rodeo.