Subject: Kolbe outed on WBAI/NPR
From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 22 Jul 1996 13:39:17 -0400

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 22 Jul 1996 13:12:42 -0400
From:[email-masked]
Subject: Re: Newsclips #1208: An outing ... Jim Kolbe (R-Ariz.) 

As a contributing correspondent on the Gay Show on WBAI (National Public
Radio) in New York, I did a story that outed both Jim Kolbe and McCreary
on Sunday.  It is a well supported story.  I have also provided it to NPR
in the New England region.  I am also breaking it on OUT IN NEW ENGLAND on
next mondays broadcast.  When I contacted Rob Foreman, press aide to Kolbe
and asked for comment about whether the congressman was gay, I was told
that they would have to get back to me on that.  I was told an interesting
thing however by an unamed source within the congressman's office.  Kolbe,
along with Gunderson tried to kill DOMA in committee.  According to my
source, a lot of democrats and republicans saw this as a wedge that they
would all prefer to avoid.  My source said that when the President made a
big deal out of signing it, he took away any option they had of killing
it.  Democrats could no longer say that it was a fruitless excersize
because the President would only veto it.  There was nothing left to stop
the bill once the President signed onto it. "He put us all in a terrible
possition that we had been trying to avoid."  Take it for what its worth.

Kurt Wolfe OUT IN NEW ENGLAND