Subject: ACTION ALERT: Arizona
From: James Yorton <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 24 Mar 1996 12:32:28 -0600 (CST)

[ submitted by [email-masked] ]

ARIZONA HUMAN RIGHTS FUND

ACTION ALERT ACTION ALERT ACTION ALERT

REP GROSCOST TO INTRODUCE SAME SEX MARRIAGE BAN

Arizona Representative Jeff Groscost is attempting to pass legislation that
would ban same-sex unions performed in other states from being legally
recognized in Arizona.  Rep. Groscost is introducing this legislation in the
form of a strike everything amendment to Senate Bill 1063.   The strike
everything amendment will be introduced in the States' Rights and Mandates
Committee (SRM) chaired by Rep. Groscost.  The SRM committee is scheduled to
hear this bill on Monday, March 25, 1996.

BACKGROUND:  A recent Hawaii Supreme Court ruling makes it more likely that
same sex marriages will be legalized in Hawaii sometime towards the end of
this year.  The full faith and credit clause of the U.S. Constitution would
require states to recognize such partnerships throughout the country.  In
anticipation of the ruling radical right legislators in 24 states are
attempting to pass bans on same sex unions.  Utah, Colorado, and South Dakota
have already passed bans.  Bans on same sex unions have failed or been
withdrawn in 7 states.

ACTION REQUIRED:

1.   Call and/or e-mail the members of the States' Rights and Mandates
Committee and ask them to oppose the amendment of SB1063 to ban the
recognition of same sex unions.

REPUBLICANS:
Rep. Jeff Groscost(Chair) (602) 542-5735
Rep. Robert Updike(VC) 602) 542-3297
Rep. David Farnsworth (602) 542-5219 [email-masked]
Rep. Mike Gardner (602) 542-5896 [email-masked]
Rep. Marilyn Jarrett (602) 542-3163
Rep. Sue Lynch  (602) 542-5412 [email-masked]
Rep. John Verkamp (602) 542-3300

DEMOCRATS
Rep. Kathi Foster  (602) 542-5160 [email-masked]
Rep. Paul Newman (602) 542-5058
Rep. Andy Nichols (602) 542-5108
Rep. Ruben Ortega (602) 542-5761 [email-masked]

Web pages of the members of the States Rights and Mandates Committee can be
found at:

http://www.azleg.state.az.us/committe/hsrm.htm

2. Send letters. Letters can be addressed to:

The Honorable [member name]
Arizona House of Representatives.
1700 W. Washington
Phoenix, AZ  85007

2.  Attend the meeting of the States' Rights and Mandates' Committee

WHEN:
Monday, March 25, 1996
8:00 am (MST)

WHERE:
Arizona State Capitol
1700 W. Washington, Phoenix
House of Representatives Bldg.
Room# HHR4

NOTE: All calls should be non-confrontational and polite.

The Arizona Legislative Information Service (ALIS) can be found at:

http://www.azleg.state.az.us/

Through ALIS you can access text of bills, floor and committee votes, members
bios, etc.

ARIZONA HUMAN RIGHTS FUND
P.O. Box 25044
Phoenix, AZ  85002

voice mail:  (602) 530-1660
fax:  (602) 275-7384
e-mail:  [email-masked]

NOTE: To be added or removed from our e-mail Action Alert list please e-mail
us.

---
_____________________________________________________________________________

* ACTION-ALERT is a moderated mailing list.                                 *
* To subscribe to ACTION-ALERT, send mail to:    [email-masked] *
* In the mail message, enter ONLY the words:         subscribe action-alert *
* To unsubscribe to ACTION-ALERT, send mail to:  [email-masked] *
* In the mail message, enter ONLY the words:       unsubscribe action-alert *
* Words in the Subject: line are NOT processed!                             *
_____________________________________________________________________________