Subject: AZ Intiative
From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 03 Feb 94 18:20:09 EST

January 26, 1994

Governor Fife Symington
State Capitol
1700 W. Washington
Phoenix, AZ 85007

Dear Governor Symington,

As a parent of a gay child and the President of the Phoenix Chapter of
Parents, Families and Friends of Lesbians and Gays, (PFLAG), I want to thank
you for publicly denouncing the petition drive that seeks a ban on laws that
protect homosexuals against discrimination.

Governor Symington, I agree with you that the anti-gay petition drive us
"just ridiculous".  However, as a parent I feel that this blatant
discrimination against gay, lesbian and bisexual people is frightening; it is
a loss of protection of basic human and civil rights.

Divisive initiatives such as the one proposed by the Traditional Values
Coalition are designed to tell Arizonans how to think, worship and vote. 
These initiatives are not only damaging to gay and lesbian people, they are
bad for business and bad for Arizona's reputation.  PFLAG affirms that we too
have traditional values which include loving and supporting all our children,
regardless of sexual orientation.  These are real traditional family values. 
We are outraged at this attempt by outside forces to legalize discrimination
against our children.

As an active member of PFLAG, I have learned much about gay, lesbian and
bisexual people.  I know that homosexual people are as diverse as
heterosexual people.  Homosexual people, like heterosexual people, come from
every ethnic background and every organized religion.  They work in every
profession.  The rights of gay and lesbian people should be equal to the
rights of all people.

The Phoenix Chapter of PFLAG is part of a national grassroots organization
dedicated to keeping families together by supporting parents, educating
society, and advocating equal rights for our gay, lesbian, and bisexual loved
ones.

We at PFLAG salute your efforts to protect our loved ones from discrimination
at the highest level of Arizona government.

Sincerely,
Bunny Tarquino
PFLAG Phoenix and Four Corners Regional Director