Subject: ACTION ALERT: Alaska
From: ACTION ALERT Moderator
Date: Wed, 3 Apr 1996 10:46:40 -0600 (CST)

[ submitted by Ron Buckmire <[email-masked]> ]

** SUMMARY **

Senate Bill 308 (anti same-sex marriage) passed that Republican-controlled
body on 28MAR1996 with a vote of 16 for and 3 against. There was, however,
a moving speech delivered on the floor of the senate by Sen. Johnny Ellis.
A transcript of that speech follows. Comments (including, hopefully, some
reinforcing praise) may be sent to him via e-mail at:
	[email-masked]

	-or mailed to:
	Senator Johnny Ellis
	State Capitol
	Juneau, AK  99801-1182

"Some individuals and groups support this bill because it is a way to 
single out and condemn the long-term committed relationships of gay and 
lesbian people in our state. In my opinion this legislation is in effect 
hateful and hurtful to people each of us represent in our districts, 
people all around us in every walk of life. And Madame President, more 
importantly than just what the bill says in black and white on this piece 
of paper before us, our action today can serve to create a climate in our 
state and in our nation, and if anyone here doubts the power of creating 
an environment for good or ill in our state, I think you underestimate 
the moral leadership of this body in public debate. To create a climate 
that makes it OK to discriminate, or single out, or to hate, to despise, 
to revile, is the wrong way to go. You cannot build up one group by 
tearing down another. All this bill serves to do is to polarize the 
electorate and drive us apart as a society when we have so many important 
and pressing problems with which to deal in this legislative session. 
Inflaming people may be good politics, it may be good at the ballot box, 
but it is cynical and destructive. I believe this body can be pro-family, 
pro-marriage, without being unfair and discriminatory."

                                         Senator Johnny Ellis, 28MAR1996.

** ACTION **

There is a chance that Gov. Tony Knowles will veto HB226 and SB308. Ask
him to VETO HB226 and SB308 by writing to him:

Gov. Tony Knowles
Office of the Governor
PO Box 110001
Juneau, AK  99811-0001

---
_____________________________________________________________________________

* ACTION-ALERT is a moderated mailing list.                                 *
* To subscribe to ACTION-ALERT, send mail to:    [email-masked] *
* In the mail message, enter ONLY the words:         subscribe action-alert *
* To unsubscribe to ACTION-ALERT, send mail to:  [email-masked] *
* In the mail message, enter ONLY the words:       unsubscribe action-alert *
* Words in the Subject: line are NOT processed!                             *
_____________________________________________________________________________