Subject: UFMCC Statement on Murder of Billy Jack Gaither
From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 5 Mar 1999 21:10:59 EST

From the News Service
of the Univeral Fellowship of
Metropolitan Community Churches

News Flash: See Late Breaking News At Close of Statement...

Statement by
The Rev. Elder Troy Perry
Moderator
Universal Fellowship of Metropolitan Community Churches

On The Murder of Billy Jack Gaither

March 5, 1999

Once again our hearts are saddened that hate-inspired crime has claimed the
life of still another member of the gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgendered
community.

We are saddened by the senseless murder of Billy Jack Gaither.

And we are saddened that his life was taken solely because of his sexual
orientation.

But today we feel more than sadness.

President Theodore Roosevelt said, "The American people are slow to anger; but
when their wrath is kindled, it burns like a consuming fire."  Today, I join
millions of Americans whose anger is kindled at hate, injustice and
intolerance.

How many more men and women must die before the U.S. national government
affords hate crime protection to gays and lesbians?  How much longer must we
wait for the promise of equal rights to be realized under the law? 

Today I call upon America's elected officials – state legislators and
governors, members of Congress and the U.S. Justice Department –  to transcend
the forces of hate, to rise above the shifting winds of politics and enact
hate crimes statutes which will honor our nation's promise of "liberty and
justice for all." To do any less is to desecrate the U.S. Constitution.

-- It is time for America to stop the murder of her gays and lesbians
citizens.

-- It is time for the U.S. Congress to stop resisting the creation of federal
hate-crime laws covering gays. 

-- It is time for the twenty-nine states which afford no hate crime protection
to gays and lesbians to enact them.

The time for debate has come and gone. We will not sit patiently by while our
brothers and sisters lose their lives to hatred and bigotry.

The time has long passed when gay citizens should have to fear for their
lives.... or the loss of their jobs... or the denial of fair housing... or the
loss of our children through inequitable adoption laws.

That is why I encourage all citizens to support the marches on state capital
through the Equality Begins At Home movement in March of this year and to
stand with me in our nation's capital for the Millennium March on Washington
for Equality in April of 2000. Our voices will be heard!

May this be our rallying call:

	We're marching to state capitals in March of 1999!
		We're marching to our nation's capital in April of 2000!
			We're marching to the ballot box in November of 2000!

On behalf of the members of the Universal Fellowship of Metropolitan Community
Churches, I extend my love and prayers and condolences to the family and
friends of Billy Jack Gaither.

And I pledge that we will not rest in our work or in our calling until the
words of the ancient Hebrew prophet Amos are realized: "Let justice roll down
like many waters, and righteousness like a might stream."

	(END)

LATE BREAKING NEWS:

Covenant Metropolitan Community in Birmingham, Alabama, a member congregation
of UFMCC, holds regular Bible study sessions in Sylacauga, home town of Billy
Jack Gaither. While Gaither did not attend the gay-friendly church, members of
the church knew him. 

The Rev. Marge Ragona, pastor of  Covenant Metropolitan Community Church said,
"I hope legislators realize that sexual orientation is one of the things
causing hate crimes throughout the country. This is a copycat murder of
Matthew Shepard. These are two young men who apparently think hate crimes are
worth imitating." 

Please be in prayer for Rev. Margona and the members of Covenant Metropolitan
Community Church as they minister to the GLBT community in the wake of the
murder of Billy Jack Gaither.

FOR ADDITIONAL INFORMATION, CONTACT:
James N. Birkitt, Jr.
UFMCC Communications Department
8704 Santa Monica Blvd.,  2nd Floor
West Hollywood, CA  90069

Tel. (310) 360-8640
Fax: (310) 360-8680

E-mail: [email-masked]

website: http://www.ufmcc.com