Subject: HRCF & Transgender Activists Agree to Work Together
From: Riki Anne Wilchins <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 23 Sep 1995 17:48:33 -0400

*** Press Release ***  
  
HRCF & Transgender Activists Agree to Work Together    
  
September 18, 1995 (New York City) --  
After a marathon 4 hour meeting on Sunday, September 17 with transgender
activists, the Human Rights Campaign Fund issued the following statement:  

"HRCF  has made a commitment to work with representatives of a spectrum of
the transgendered community with a specific focus on hate crimes.   
 
"HRCF has also committed to assist transgender representatives with an
amendment strategy in the context of ENDA.  The strategy does not include
re-introduction of the current ENDA; the language of the current bill
remains as is.  
  
"Both groups will work in good faith to continue dialogue and to build
coalition in the context of ending violence and discrimination against this
community."  
  
Present at the meeting from the transgender community were representatives
of the American Boyz, the Transgender Law Conference, It's Time America,
It's Time Texas, Transgender Nation and the Transexual Menace.  In light of
the agreement of HRCF officials to work with the transgender community on
ENDA, hate crimes and developing an on-going rapport, representatives of
the NYC chapter of the Menace have indefinitely suspended all
demonstrations at HRCF fundraising events.    
  
Said Menace member Riki Anne Wilchins after the meeting, "Although we
realize we are not within their mandate proper, nonetheless we hope this
marks a turn towards diversity and inclusion in HRCF's lobbying efforts. We
believe the community as a whole has firmly embraced the concept of a
larger queer community, and HRCF's statement is yet another crucial step
down this road.  We are looking forward with great anticipation to working
with HRCF: their agreement to work cooperatively with us is both generous
and welcome, and it could not have come at a better time."  
[END]