Subject: DIVAS DISH DRAG DISCRIMINATION
From: Riki Anne Wilchins <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 1995 22:16:33 -0400

[ PRESS RELEASE Contact: InYourFace!, c/o Riki Anne Wilchins,
[email-masked], (212)645-1753 ] 

DIVAS DISH DRAG DISCRIMINATION  
 
(New York City, September 7) 
-- For the first time, members of the Imperial Court, the nation's oldest
and largest drag organization, openly expressed their concern on being left
out of the Human Rights Campaign Fund's current Employment
Non-Discrimination Act.  The statement's impact was heightened by the fact
that both HRCF's Executive Director, Ms. Elizabeth Birch, and Public
Relations Director, Mr. David Smith, have consistently asserted that,
although transexuals and crossdressers may not be protected under HRCF's
wording, gay and lesbian people will be.  In addition, the statement
address not only a  concern for the rights of drag-identified people, but a
more broad-based concern for the right to freedom from employment
discrimination for all transgendered and queer people. 
 
The following is excerpted from a 2 page letter from Mr. Charles Ching (AKA
"Coco LeChine"), President of the Imperial Court of New York: 
 
-- 
 
Dear Ms. Elizabeth Birch, 
 
We are writing to express our concern that the currently proposed
Employment Non-Discrimination Act has been drafted to exclude the issue of
transgendered persons in any concrete way... 
 
By way of introduction, we would like you to know the following about the
Imperial Court of New York, and the Imperial Court System in general. 
 
The Imperial Court of New York... is part of the International Court
System, which was founded 30 years ago.  There are more than 60 courts
throughout the United States and Canada, all of which are nonprofit
corporations... In many communities, the Imperial Court represents the most
cohesive and organized gay and lesbian organization in the community. 
 
Members of the Imperial Court are a diverse and eclectic group of
individuals -- men and women, gay and lesbian, drag performers and leather
men, transvestites and transsexuals, and even a few heterosexuals! -- with
a single purpose in mind: without even losing their sense of humor, or
sense of dignity, to use dressing up in various ways to raise funds for gay
and lesbian charities in their communities... 
 
Every member of our organization would like to encourage the inclusion of
transgendered individuals in ENDA... we feel that this is an imperative. 
We feel that it is the utmost importance to remember that we are none of us
protected, until we are all protected. 
 
Sincerely, 
 
Charles Ching, President 
[END]