Subject: Update: Mexicana Boycott
From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 23 Nov 1996 18:45:56 -0500

TO:  The Gay and Lesbian Community & Friends Worldwide
FROM:  Livit Callentine and Holly Babe Faust
SUBJECT:  MEXICANA AIRLINES BOYCOTT SECOND FINAL UPDATE
DATE :  November 23, 1996

Dear Friends,

Mirka Negroni, of International Gay & Lesbian Human Rights Commission,
reports that Mexicana Airlines told the following lies to the Mexican
Commission for Human Rights : (1) LIE: Mexicana Airlines says we received
advance warning to stop kissing and we refused. TRUTH: A flight attendant
warned us that another passenger was uncomfortable and that we should not
kiss. We told her we were not kissing (we never did kiss on the flight), that
we were surprised anyone would be watching us anyway, but that we heard what
she had to say. We were shocked and off balance by this,  and after she
walked away we quietly discussed the letter of protest we would write to the
airline  after we returned home, but we did nothing to provoke the flight
crew or question their authority.

(2) LIE: Mexicana says that with the "second warning" we "assaulted" the
captain and criticized Mexican customs. TRUTH: There was no second warning.
The captain witnessed Livit playfully perch on Holly's lap while crossing
over to the window seat (by now the plane was virtually empty as we sat on
the tarmac waiting for the new passengers), and he immediately told us,
without a discussion, that we would have to leave the plane. We were shocked
and got angry and told him we had done nothing to warrant out removal. We
refused to leave and security guards were sent in to surround us. We were
told we were immoral, yet we continued to try to negotiate. We were told that
Mexican people had different customs; we said we understood the customs and
that we had been doing nothing sexual or illegal -- we were just snuggling in
our seats. All of the discussion was to no avail. Of course we never
assaulted the captain, but he may have felt threatened by two very strong,
wronged, scared and angry women who were speaking their minds.

(3) LIE: Mexicana says we were removed from the plane to protect us from
other passengers. TRUTH: The very few other passengers (about 7) who remained
on the plane in Guadalajara were absolutely silent and unmoving during our
episode. 

(4) LIE: Mexicana says they paid for our hotel and new airline tickets.
TRUTH: Mexicana has not given us anything (but trouble). We paid for our
hotel room that night. With persistence we persuaded one of the Guadalajara
airport staff (who was sympathetic to our plight) to get us boarding passes
for the next morning's flight. 

This illustrates that when the truth won't work for you, you just have to
make things up! We thank Mirka Negroni of IGLHRC for this latest information,
and we hope you will continue to boycott Mexicana Airlines. Thank you again.

Livit & Holly