Subject: KFC Follow-Up Letter
From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 1995 19:33:30 -0500

March 22, 1995

Mr. Steve Provost
Vice President
Kentucky Fried Chicken
1900 Colonel Sanders Ln.
Louisville, KY 40213

Dear Mr. Provost,

 I want to thank you for your quick response to our press release and our
concerns regarding treatment of employees at KFC.  We would like to work
together with KFC to ensure a workplace that respects the rights of all
employees, including gay, lesbian, bisexual and people of color.

 We have received a copy of KFC's "Equal Employment Opportunity" policy
issued Jan. 1, 1986 and revised April 2, 1993.  It prompts additional
questions from us, along with specific recommendations from us to KFC.

 We would like to know, in writing, how KFC's policy specifically covers
employees in the Louisville, KY, market.  Louisville, as you know, does not
currently have a city-wide anti-discrimination ordinance that protects
lesbian, gay and bisexual workers.  In our experience, discrepancies between
what some companies say they have in terms of protections and what
communities cover can lead to cases where workplace protections are affected
by lack of local laws.  Hence, we need to know how KFC's policy specifically
covers employees in Louisville.

 Also, we would like to know how KFC trains its employees around
implementation of the policy, in particular store managers and area
supervisors.  In addition, what sensitivity training, if any, has KFC
provided around AIDS/HIV and sexual orientation in the workplace?

 We also respectfully request KFC to back up its policy by publicly
supporting the human rights ordinance that bans discrimination based on
sexual orientation in Louisville, your corporate hometown.  The measure, as
you know, is up for vote by the Board of Aldermen on March 28.

 Finally, we ask that KFC meet together, at the same time, with
representatives of the African-American and gay/lesbian communities in
Louisville to engage in good-faith discussions around workplace issues at
KFC.  In particular, these groups are the Justice Resource Center and the
Fairness Campaign.

 We look forward to your response to our requests and to mutual opportunities
for working together to ensure a productive workplace free of intolerance and
discrimination.  Thank you.

Sincerely,

Kerry Lobel
Deputy Director

cc: David Novak
 President, KFC