Subject: IWG Vancouver WA church/state/orientation
From: Interfaith Working Group <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 25 Apr 1998 23:45:56 -0400 (EDT)

The following went out on IWG letterhead listing 12 congregations and
organizations and 56 clergy from 15 religious traditions. If you are in 
the general Philadelphia area and represent a congregation or religious 
organization or are clergy, let us know if you want to be added - all faiths 
are welcome. We will also be happy to help start similar organizations in 
other areas.

April 24, 1998

The Columbian,
PO Box 180
Vancouver, WA  98666

Dear Editors:

Contrary to statements made by Eric Maglasang in his
April 17 letter, municipal governments do not have the
authority to define civil marriage, religious marriage,
or sin.  Civil marriage is defined by the states, and
religious marriage and sin are defined independently
for their members by this country's many religious
institutions, some of which recognize same-gender
partners, and do not classify same-gender sexual
relationships as inherently sinful.

Sincerely,
Barbara Purdom     Christopher Purdom
Interfaith Working Group Coordinators

-- 

Interfaith Working Group                Religious organizations, congregations
[email-masked]                      and clergy supporting gay rights,
http://www.libertynet.org/iwg/          reproductive freedom, and the 
215-235-3050                            separation of church and state.