Subject: FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: UNITED METHODIST CONFERENCE DECISION A "MISSED OPPORTUNITY"
From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 17 May 2000 16:46:55 EDT

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

United Methodist Church Conference Affirms Discriminatory Language Against 
Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, Transgendered People

 "Another Missed Opportunity!"
A Message from the Rev. Troy D. Perry
Office of the Moderator, UFMCC 

The Universal Fellowship of Metropolitan Community Churches joins 
justice-seeking people within the United Methodist denomination and in the 
larger community in expressing profound sorrow and disappointment at the 
decision of the Conference delegates in Cleveland, Ohio to affirm and 
maintain  discriminatory language against GLBT persons in the United 
Methodist Book of Discipline, and to thereby continue fostering homophobic 
attitudes and practices throughout the Methodist denomination. 

Rev. Troy D. Perry states, "We regard this as yet another 'missed 
opportunity' on the part of a major Christian denomination to overthrow 
long-standing injustice in their midst. I am proud that a member of the UFMCC 
clergy, Rev. Mel White of SoulForce, 
led a peaceful, non-violent protest against the continuance of this 
discriminatory language and practice. I congratulate Rev. Mel White, the 
members of SoulForce, the clear-sighted Methodist delegates, supporters and 
allies of whatever sexual orientation, for standing with us and demanding 
justice for LGBT persons." 

He adds, "I am also grateful and proud of the many lay and Clergy members of 
Metropolitan Community Churches who were willing to join and stand with 
SoulForce and their allies in facing arrest as they offered their witness for 
justice."

"We can only give thanks to God for these voices crying out together for 
Christ's love and justice. Their action was a success regardless of the 
outcome of this particular Conference vote. God is continually working on our 
behalf and will renew our strength, until the day that the chorus for love 
and justice triumphs...until that day when the presence and the gifts of all 
God's people are welcomed and celebrated, not only in the United Methodist 
Church, but throughout the body of Christ, and in every place where  people 
of God join together." (END)

SoulForce Protest Media Release: 
http://www.ufmcc.com/umcprotest.htm

Visit UFMCC's Photo Gallery of UMC Protest:
http://www.ufmcc.com/umcprotestpics.htm

For more information on SoulForce Ministries: 
visit their web site at: http://www.soulforce.org 
Email: [email-masked] 

For more information about UFMCC worldwide:
Ms. Maaza Mengiste, UFMCC Director of Communications 
8704 Santa Monica Blvd  2nd Floor West Hollywood, CA 90069
Tel: (310) 360-8640  Fax: (310) 360-8680  Email: [email-masked]
website: http://www.ufmcc.com
---------------------------------------------------------------------