Subject: ACTION ALERT: MCC / National Council of Churches
From: David Casti <[email-masked]>

----------------------------Original message----------------------------
Submitted by:[email-masked]

 Friends, I scalped this note.  I don't think they will care my sharing the
information with you.  I hope that our caring response will show to the
Stephen Ministry Program that Gays and Lesbians can be Christians too.

 *** Original (but possibly edited) note follows ***

UFMCC Rejected Again

A couple of years ago, Carol Gough saw the intense need for a
congregational pastoral care program within her UFMCC church.  She had
participated in the Stephen Ministry program when she attended Christ
Episcopal Church in Denver so naturally thought her new church home would
benefit greatly from such a program.  A fund was established with the hopes
that the congregation would be able to raise the required parish fee of
$900 to join the Stephen Ministry program.  Last year, MCC of the Rockies
was invited to send a couple of members to audit St. John's Catheral's
Stephen Ministry training.  The Catheral then made a gift to MCC of the
remaining money required to become a participating church in the Stephen
Ministry program.

The appropriate paperwork required for admission as a participating church
was submitted.  After some time, Carol hadn't heard from the program so she
wrote and then called Mr. David Paap who oversees the admission process.
In her conversation with Mr. Paap, she expressed her wish to receive the
training because of the need of the congregation, a primarily gay and
lesbian church. She spoke about the rejection and alienation experienced by
many parishoners. Carol told Mr. Paap just how badly her congregation
needed this pastoral care program.

Mr. Paap inquired about the percentage of straight people within the
congregation.  She responded she didn't know the exact percentage but the
church was made up of gay, lesbian and some heterosexual people.  Carol was
told that he had to bring it up with his staff.  After a period of time and
many unreturned phone calls, Mr. Paap told Carol that the reason MCC of the
Rockies could not be admitted into the Stephen Ministry program was because
of the possiblity of inapporiate behavior that might take place when
couples came to the training events.

When she replied, "We are professionals" and went on to describe the
credentials of persons interested in being lay ministers.  He responded,
"You might be professional but you never know how people are going to
behave."  He went to say that the "fundmentalist brothers and sisters"
present at the training events "might try to convert you and then there's a
problem with scripture and theology."  Carol said she tried to talk with
him on each point that he brought up.  But in the end, MCC of the Rockies
was denied admission. Carol feels understandably beaten up by the process
and this rejection.  Yet she told me, "I want them to know who we are and
what we are about.  I want them to come to our church and experience the
love for God and one another."

As one who was present at the 1993 National Council of Churches meeting
when UFMCC was denied observer status, I am again outraged.  Outraged
because the Stephen Ministry program that claims to transcend
denominational and political lines, doctrinal issues and focus on the
ministry of Christ to all people has betrayed Christ through their narrow
understandings and fears.  Outraged because of the hypocrisy and bigotry in
our own PCUSA and the larger Christian Church that continues to deny Jesus
the Christ.

It is important that we respond to this incredible outrageous action.  This
program trains those who want to minister to others within many of our
presbyterian churches.  St. John's Catheral will no longer use the Stephen
Ministry training materials for training lay ministers.  They, along with
MCC of the Rockies are developing other models of training lay ministers.
Let us take Carol's lead by expressing who we are and what we are about as
a people of faith committed to the ways of love and justice expressed
through Jesus the Christ.

Rev. Haughk is the director of the program, and Mr. Paap is an associate.
                The address:
                The Reverend Kenneth Haughk
                Mr. David Paap
                Stephen Ministries
                8016 Dale
                Saint Louis, Missouri 63117-1449

 ***  End of original note ***

Thanks for your help!

Jim - written  6:10 am on Thu, Feb 24, 1994
Internet Address - [email-masked]