Subject: SOULFORCE CONFRONTS HOMOPHOBIA IN THE UNITED METHODIST CH
From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2000 11:25:36 EST

A SOULFORCE BACKGROUND PAPER
FOR OUR FRIENDS IN GLBT PUBLISHING
(March 24, 2000)

FEEL FREE TO USE THIS AS AN INTERVIEW WITH DR.MEL WHITE
OR AS AN ARTICLE OR PART OF AN ARTICLE
PHOTOS AT WWW.SOULFORCE.ORG

Call Mel White with Additional Questions: (949) 455-0999

QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS
SOULFORCE UNIVERSITY AT GC2000
"End the Debate!  Stop the Suffering!  Welcome Us Home!"
May 6-12, 2000, Cleveland, Ohio, Trinity Episcopal Cathedral

WHAT IS SOULFORCE UNIVERSITY?
    S.F.U. is a rare, one-week opportunity for people of faith to learn and 
apply the "soul force" principles of nonviolence on behalf of God's gay, 
lesbian, bisexual, and transgendered children.

WHAT IS GENERAL CONFERENCE 2000?
    Every four years United Methodist leaders from around the world gather to 
make policy for their historic denomination.  GC2000 will convene in 
Cleveland, Ohio, May 2-12.  This important "congress" will make decisions 
about their homosexual members that will have consequences for us all. 

WHY IS S.F.U. BEING HELD SIMULTANEOUSLY WITH GC2000?
    Soulforce is an informal network of people of faith committed to applying 
the principles of nonviolence (taught by Gandhi and King) to the liberation 
of sexual minorities.  The most effective way to teach the principles is in a 
place and time where they also need to be applied.  GC2000 is just such a 
place. 

WHY DO THE PRINCIPLES NEED TO BE APPLIED AT GC2000?
    Historically, Methodists have cared about the poor, the homeless, and the 
outcast.  Sadly, decisions made by their General Conferences over the past 
three decades have ended that tradition of caring and made outcasts of God's 
lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgendered children.  We hope to help end those 
unjust and discriminatory policies.

WHAT IS THE OFFICIAL U.M.C. POSITION ON HOMOSEXUALITY?
    For thirty-two years United Methodist leaders have debated the issue of 
homosexuality.  Too many of their delegates have ignored the historic, 
scientific, psychological, pastoral and even biblical evidence that 
homosexuality is neither a sickness nor a sin.  As a result, with almost 
every General Conference the U.M.C. has hardened its anti-homosexual 
position.  That position leads to discrimination, suffering, and death. 
Sadly, this is where the denomination now stands:

From The U.M.C. Book of Discipline, The Social Principles
    Paragraph 65 G: Human Sexuality-"…Although we do not condone the practice 
of  homosexuality and consider this practice incompatible with Christian 
teaching, we affirm that God's grace is available to all."
    Paragraph 65 C: Marriage-"…Ceremonies that celebrate homosexual unions 
shall not be conducted by our ministers and shall not be conducted in our 
churches."

From The Book of Discipline, Chapter Two "The Ministry of the Ordained"
    Paragraph 304: 3. "…Since the practice of homosexuality is incompatible 
with Christian teaching, self-avowed practicing homosexuals are not to be 
accepted as candidates, ordained as ministers, or appointed to serve in The 
United Methodist Church."
    From The Book of Discipline, Chapter 5 "Administrative Order"
Paragraph 806: 12. "The council shall be responsible for ensuring that no 
board, agency, committee, commission, or council shall give United Methodist 
funds to any gay caucus or group, or otherwise use such funds to promote the 
acceptance of homosexuality…"

Recent Rulings by the Judicial Council of the United Methodist Church
    1. After the first Jimmy Creech trial in 1998, the Judicial Council of 
the UMC made conducting a same-gender Covenant Service a "chargeable 
offense."  (JC Decision #833)
    2. A 1999 ruling prohibits local churches from using either the 
"reconciling" or "transforming" labels. (JC Decision #847)

WHY FOCUS ON THE U.M.C. WHEN OTHER CHURCHES ARE ALSO ANTIGAY?
    With more than 9,000,000 members, the United Methodist Church is the 
third largest denomination in the nation (after the Roman Catholics and the 
Southern Baptists). The tragic consequences of its anti-homosexual policies 
reach far beyond United Methodism into the lives of GLBT people across the 
nation and around the world.  With its traditional commitment to justice and 
social action, we are hoping and praying that the UMC will reverse its 
anti-homosexual position and lead the entire Christian community to justice, 
mercy, and truth for sexual minorities. 

WHAT ARE YOU HOPING TO ACCOMPLISH AT GC2000?
    We are praying that God will use our presence to help the United 
Methodist Church to understand that homosexuals are God's children, too; that 
God has created us and loves us as we were created; that we love God and 
serve the UMC (and all other faith communions) with courage and commitment; 
that UMC anti-homosexual policies break God's heart and drive millions of 
innocent people from Christ's body, the church.  We are convinced that if the 
UMC could see the truth and have the courage to act upon it, they could lead 
the entire Christian church out of this heresy of exclusion into a new era of 
love and acceptance.

ISN'T SOULFORCE INTERFERING IN UNITED METHODIST BUSINESS?
    Many of our Soulforce delegates are life-long members of the United 
Methodist Church.  And, we are working together closely with AMAR, a 
coalition of GLBT advocacy organizations within the UMC (Affirmation, the 
Reconciling Churches Program, the Methodist Federation for Social Action, and 
In All Things Charity).  Besides, we must never forget that in spite of its 
divisions, the body of Christ is one body.  What wounds any part of that body 
wounds us all.  If delegates to GC2000 decide against us, the media will 
broadcast that news to the world.  That news would lead to discrimination, 
suffering, and even death.  We must all work together to help prevent that 
tragedy.

WHAT WILL SOULFORCE DO AT GC2000?
    Gandhi and King teach us that seeking justice requires two very different 
steps.  The first step is to negotiate our differences, (Plan A). Working 
closely with AMAR, we are doing everything we can to change the minds and 
hearts of the anti-homosexual delegates.  They are our sisters and brothers, 
good people who are victims of misinformation.  Our work to help them see the 
truth about God's GLBT children will continue throughout the May 2-12 event.  
But if negotiations fail and the delegates to GC2000 vote to support or even 
strengthen their unjust and discriminatory policies against homosexuals, we 
will move to step two, direct action, (Plan B).

WHAT DIRECT ACTION WILL YOU TAKE AT GC2000?
    The "soul force" principles teach us that a direct action (Plan B) has 
one goal: reconciliation.  The nonviolent direct actions of Gandhi and King 
were designed to win the minds and hearts of their adversaries.  We are not 
considering any kind of angry or violent response.  We will not demean or 
dehumanize our adversaries.  We don't know exactly what form our direct 
action will take (if it proves necessary); but we promise that it will 
demonstrate in ways that are loving and nonviolent that we are God's 
children, too, and that we are determined to end these unjust policies that 
exclude us from Christ's church. 

COULD YOU BE MORE SPECIFIC? 
    Actually, we cannot be more specific, at least not yet.  We aren't sure 
if a direct action will be necessary in Cleveland, let alone what kind of 
direct action it would be.  I have listed the "soul force" rules for 
<<negotiation>> and <<direct action>> in another location.  Please take time 
to read them.  It will help you better understand the guidelines we will 
follow in Cleveland.
    Whatever our direct action, delegates will have to memorize those rules 
and then sign a pledge to follow them in Cleveland.  In Gene Sharp's The 
Methods of Nonviolent Action the author lists 793 direct actions that have 
been taken by nonviolent civil rights activists over the centuries.  Whether 
we will follow one of the old ways or invent the 794th is still a mystery to 
all of us.  

WHY CAN'T YOU ANNOUNCE THE DIRECT ACTION IN ADVANCE?
    Because we honestly don't know what it will be.  Ask yourself, "What 
could Soulforce do in Cleveland that would help change the minds and hearts 
of those who still believe that homosexual practice "is incompatible with 
Christian teaching," that our relationships should not be blessed by the UMC, 
that we should not be ordained or even considered for Christian ministry?"  
We are asking it daily. 
    An angry response to a GC2000 decision would not advance the cause of 
truth.  It would only confirm our adversary's fears and escalate our 
adversary's anger.  Speeches by our most articulate allies, colorful signs, 
cheering crowds, plenty of cameras, and even a sound bite or two on the 
evening news will not change the minds and hearts of anti-homosexual United 
Methodists. 
    Besides, at General Conferences over the last three decades, our UMC 
friends and allies have performed all kinds of creative and courageous direct 
actions in response to the anti-homosexual decisions.  It would be very 
difficult to improve on what they have already done; and yet untruth still 
prevails in the UMC.

SO WHY NOT GIVE UP ON THE UNITED METHODISTS?
    First, there are a lot of courageous United Methodists who have not given 
up on us.  We must not fail them now.  
    Second, there are thousands of closeted UMC clergy and hundreds of 
thousands of UMC members who are lesbian, gay, bisexual, or transgendered.  
We must help end their suffering but cutting off the suffering at its source. 
[I'm hoping many of them will join us in Cleveland.]
    Third, according to Gandhi and King, giving up on our adversary is "an 
act of violence."  We cannot give up on the United Methodist Church even 
though that historic denomination has become a primary source of suffering 
for God's GLBT people.  
    Fourth, neither can we remain silent while some United Methodists 
continue their campaign against us.  This debate has gone on for at least 
thirty-two years.  Hundreds of thousands of lives have been damaged, 
ministries wasted, relationships ruined, homes divided, churches split.  When 
debate becomes a kind of warfare, "soul force" activists over the centuries 
have used nonviolent direct actions to change the minds and hearts of their 
adversaries.  We must act, if for no other reason, to say to our sisters and 
brothers we cannot sit by in silence for another four years of suffering. 

BUT IS IT WISE TO ARRIVE ON SCENE WITHOUT A SPECIFIC PLAN?
    We won't be the first to gather on the site of a potential injustice 
without a specific plan of response.  And we are seriously considering (and 
preparing for) all kinds of options. Gandhi and King instruct us to go to the 
scene, to mobilize and train our volunteers in nonviolence, to pray, fast and 
seek God's guidance together.  Then, they say, take the direct action that 
seems best (even if we are unsure) and the response of our adversary will 
show us what to do next.
    Gandhi's followers marched on a salt works without knowing how their 
adversary would respond.  The bloody beatings that followed changed the minds 
and hearts of the world looking on and led directly to an independent India.  
King's followers marched on Birmingham's City Hall without knowing how their 
adversary would respond.  The police dogs, fire hoses, and jails filled with 
children changed the minds and hearts of the world looking on and led 
directly to the end of segregation.
    Our adversaries will not resort to wooden clubs or fire hoses.  If we 
force the police to arrest us for trespassing on the Convention Center or for 
interrupting the closing worship, what will we have gained?  We may have to 
face arrest just to signal our sincere determination, but we are searching 
for a better way to say to the United Methodists and to the world looking on, 
"End the debate.  Stop the suffering.  Welcome us home!" 
    We are hoping that hundreds of United Methodists (including lay and 
clergy delegates) will join us in taking that stand.  We're hoping that you 
will join us, too.
Register on line for the whole week or for just a day. If you want to join us 
just for the direct action, say so on the registration form.  We will tell 
you when and where to train for that event.

HELP US UNDERSTAND THE SYMBOL YOU WILL USE AT GC2000?
    The United Methodist logo is a cross and a bright red flame symbolizing 
the active presence of Christ's Spirit, the Spirit of Truth and Justice.  Our 
symbol is a cross and a plume of smoke with the words, "Relight the flame. 
Welcome us home!"
Obviously, the Holy Spirit is still at work in the lives of members of the 
UMC, but we are using this logo with the flame extinguished to raise the 
question, can the Spirit of Christ remain much longer at the heart of a 
community of faith where all God's children are not welcome?

ARE YOU REALLY HOPING THAT CLOSETED UMC CLERGY WILL JOIN YOU?
    Yes, closeted clergy and laity alike.  There are an estimated 2,000-3,000 
ordained clergy in the UMC who have hidden their sexual orientation in order 
to obey their call to serve Christ.  And there's no way to estimate how many 
hundreds of thousands of UMC lay leaders and members remain in the closet.  
    Our closeted UMC sisters and brothers have the power to end this struggle 
for justice overnight.  If a thousand, or five hundred, or even several 
hundred of them would join us at GC2000, they would change the course of 
history and find new freedom in their own lives and ministries.  
    We are making special rainbow sashes for GLBT people of faith and our 
allies to wear at GC2000 as a sign of their commitment to justice and truth.  
We are also planning to honor and bless those who may come out with the 
presentation of their rainbow sash at services at Trinity Cathedral.  If you 
are a UMC clergy or laity who has hidden your sexual orientation and would 
consider joining us, contact the Rev. Dr. Mel White personally at 
[email-masked] to discuss the possibilities with him.

HOW CAN WE GET MORE INFORMATION ABOUT SOULFORCE UNIVERSITY?
    Whether you may want to attend the entire, week-long event, drop by for a 
day or two, or just participate in our direct action, you must sign up on the 
web at www.soulforce.org.  Click on Soulforce University.  Fill out the 
registration form.  Email it to us.

WHAT IS A SOULFORCE SCHOLAR?
    Soulforce scholars will spend the entire week, May 6-12, living in 
community and studying together the "inward" and the "outward" journeys of 
our spirit.  We will share intimate learning experiences with Arun Gandhi, 
Jim Lawson, John Graetz, and other primary leaders of "soul force" nonviolent 
movements of the past.  We will live, work, worship and act together.  
Scholars who attend the entire week will have the opportunity to be certified 
to teach and apply the principles in their communities.

CAN PEOPLE ENROLL FOR JUST PARTS OF THE S.F.U. EXPERIENCE? 
    Yes.  Everyday there will be events open to the public.  A schedule will 
be released on our web page in April.  There will be no charge for 
registration or for attending our SFU classes, worship experiences, musical 
concerts or the film festival.  We are trusting that people who believe in 
what we are doing will get the vision and help cover our expenses through an 
unsolicited tax-deductible gift to Soulforce, Inc. (by check in Cleveland or 
by mail, or by credit card through the web page <<donation>>).  Even if you 
can't attend, you can help us create a powerful spiritual presence with your 
prayers (and help us pay our bills with your donations).  
    Those who register in advance at [www.soulforce.org] will have priority 
for meals and for the limited seating events.  Registering in advance on line 
will also save time for participants.  A preregistration badge will be 
prepared for them and available at our registration office at Trinity 
Cathedral.

WHO CAN PARTICIPATE IN THE SOULFORCE DIRECT ACTION?
    On May 9, 10, and 11 two-hour training sessions will be held for those 
who want to participate in our Soulforce direct action.  Attending one of 
those training sessions is a requirement for participation.  If a direct 
action is called for, it will probably be held on May 12.  Because it may 
involve civil disobedience and arrest, we are working closely on all details 
with the office of the honorable Mike White, Cleveland's Mayor.  Watch the 
web page towards the end of April for more details.

WHERE IS TRINITY EPISCOPAL CATHEDRAL?
    In Cleveland, Ohio, at 2021 E. 22nd St. (Corner of E. 22nd & Euclid).  A 
map will be posted on our web page in April and sent to all those who 
pre-register on line.

WHO CAN WE CALL FOR INFORMATION IF WE ARE NOT ON LINE?
    Call our Soulforce offices in California for information at 949-455-0999. 
Or email any of our S.F.U. leaders at the S.F.U. web site.  (Do not call 
Trinity Cathedral or its staff.)  We will have a SFU phone number at Trinity 
from May 2-12, and open lines for computers.

HOW DO WE ARRANGE HOUSING?
    There is space for 50 scholars to live on campus at Trinity Cathedral, 
May 5-13.  For those not interested or able to experience the rather 
primitive monastic life, local friends of Soulforce will be offering housing, 
May 5-13.  For a while there are still rooms available in nearby hotels.  But 
all three options (Trinity, local homes, or nearby hotels) must be requested 
by registering at the web page.  
    Our housing coordinators will try to accommodate each request.  You are 
also free to make your own arrangements in homes or hotels and just notify us 
accordingly on your registration form.  If you have transportation, there 
will be hotels available in and around Cleveland even at the last minute.

WHAT ABOUT MEALS?
    We are serving breakfast and dinner at Trinity Cathedral.  Any extra meal 
tickets will be available at the Registration desk on a first come, first 
served basis.  There are also restaurants, cafes, and fast food facilities 
available in the area.

WHAT ABOUT TRANSPORTATION IN CLEVELAND?
    There will be transportation pools to care for scholars without cars.  
Hopefully, everyone will arrange for his or her own transportation around 
Cleveland.  If you need transportation, indicate it on your preregistration 
form (www.soulforce.org).  The Cathedral is a healthy one mile walk from the 
Convention Center.  Bring comfortable shoes.

IF YOU HAVE FURTHER QUESTIONS:
    Please contact any of our S.F.U. staff.  Their names and email addresses 
are listed at www.soulforce.org, click on Soulforce University.

FOR SPECIFIC INFORMATION ABOUT HOUSING: CONTACT [email-masked] 
  
FOR INFORMATION ABOUT MUSIC CONTACT [email-masked] 

FOR INFORMATION ABOUT COURSES CONTACT [email-masked]

FOR GENERAL INFORMATION CONTACT [email-masked]

To contact Soulforce by mail (or to make a tax-deductible contribution by 
check):
Write to: Soulforce, PO Box 4467, Laguna Beach, CA. 92652.
Telephone: (949) 455-0999   Fax: (949) 455-0959