Subject: RALLY Correction: May 6
From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 4 May 2000 10:09:21 EDT

The date of the glbt rally in Cleveland is Saturday, MAY 6 (not Sat. May 7)

FRIENDS OF THE RECONCILING CONGREGATION PROGRAM TO SURROUND GENERAL 
CONFERENCE DELEGATES WITH AN UNBROKEN CIRCLE OF LOVE

******************************************************************
Press Release - AMAR                    Contact AMAR Office: 
May 3, 2000                             (216) 443-1000
For Immediate Release                  
******************************************************************

      Cleveland - As nearly 1,000 United Methodist General Conference 
delegates meet inside the Cleveland Convention Center, another 2,000 
individuals are expected to be outside the hall asking delegates to "Extend 
the Table" and welcome ALL of God's people into The United Methodist Church 
(UMC).

      A rally will be held on at 12 noon, EST on Saturday, May 6 at the 
Convention Center to continue to draw attention to the exclusionary language 
in the United Methodist Discipline towards persons who are Gay, Lesbian, 
Bisexual or Transgendered. 

Nearly 2,000 Reconciling United Methodists will gather and join hands, 
encircling delegates in love and the hope that the outcome of their votes 
will allow ALL of God's children, regardless of sexual orientation, to be 
included in the life of The UMC. "We have been holding the General Conference 
and the delegates in our prayers and we will be praying for them at the 
rally," said The Rev. James Preston of Rockford, Illinois and Rally co-chair.

      "This will be a rousing and meaningful experience with great music, 
stirring speeches and communion. A special presentation will be made to 
California-Nevada Conference Bishop Mel Talbert. The rally will conclude with 
a circle of love around the convention center as we extend the table to 
persons of ALL sexual orientations." added The Rev. Karen Oliveto, a pastor 
in San Francisco and co-chair of the Rally.

      Speakers will include San Francisco activist Randy Miller, Soulforce 
Director The Rev. Mel White, Reconciling Congregation Program (RCP) Board 
president The Rev. Gayle Felton, RCP executive director Marilyn Alexander, 
and The Rev. Bill Johnson, who was the first openly gay man to be ordained 
into the United Church of Christ.

      "Reconciling United Methodists are United Methodists through and 
through, commented James Preston, rally co-chair. "We are a part of the whole 
church and we want the whole church to be open and welcoming to ALL of God's 
Children. That's why we'll be at the rally!"

A  M  A  R
Affirmation: United Methodists for Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and
Transgendered Concerns
Methodist Federation for Social Action 
and Reconciling Congregation Program

Coordinators: Jeanne Knepper, Affirmation - Kathryn Johnson, MFSA -
Marilyn Alexander, RCP