From: Sam Damon <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 1994 03:31:29 -0400 (edt)

Although this isn't explicitly gay, any opportunity to make fun of fundie
televangelist Pat Robertson is pro-homo enough for me (especially when it's
in the name of feminism).

==========

About that Pat Robertson quote:

The Spectator recently devoted a whole issue to Robertson's "Christian
Coalition, which seeks to impose its own political agenda by winning
election to everything from your local school board to the White House. 
Robertson tells his followers that their political opponents are "Satanic
forces," and adds that, in all these elections, "We're going to be coming up
against spiritual warfare."

As for the question of feminism and chess, this item ran on our pages of
short-takes:

One last comment by millionaire televangelist Pat Robertson.  In November
1989, Robertson talked to his television audience about the difference
between men and women: "[T]he key in terms of mental [ability] is chess. 
There's never been a woman Grand Master chess player.  [O]nce you get one,
then I'll buy some of the feminism ..."

According to the Chess Federation of the United States there were already
two women Grand Masters at that time -- both from Georgia -- and, since
Robertson's gaffe, three more.  Pia Cramling of Sweden (1992), and the
Hungarian sisters Zsuzsa Polgar (1991 at age 22), and Judit, who last year
became the youngest Grand Master ever at age 15.  Judit recently defeated
Boris Spassky in an exhibition match and is touted by her fans as a
potential first-ever female "Men's World Champion."

===================

This above was taken from an invitation to subscribe to The Spectator, a 3
page newsletter of news summaries from all the major newspapers.  It's
published by a non-profit, tax-exempt foundation, The Public Concern
Foundation, and costs $10 ($9 to students) for 16 issues.  I don't know much
more about this publication, so I can neither recommend it or denouce it. 
It also claims non-partisanship.