Subject: Clergy in Soulforce March on Fox to Protest Robertson's Antigay
From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 19 Feb 2000 10:04:23 EST

Press Release, February 20, 2000
FOXFAMILY WORLDWIDE CONDEMNED
BY CHRISTIAN, JEWISH, MUSLIM CLERGY

Press Conference and March on Fox Headquarters Announced
To Protest the "Anti-Family Rhetoric" of Fox Co-Chair, Pat Robertson
"Beware the Fox" will headline national campaign.

(Los Angles, CA.) On February 23, 2000, interfaith clergy from across 
Southern California will announce a national campaign against 
"FOX-ANTI-FAMILY programming." After a press conference at UCLA, the clergy 
will attempt to present their case to Fox executives in an uninvited visit to 
FOXFAMILY headquarters.

"For two years we've tried to get Fox executives to hear our case against the 
false and inflammatory rhetoric of Pat Robertson and his 700 Club," explains 
Dr. James Lawson, Pastor-Emeritus of Holman United Methodist Church and 
Co-Chair of the Committee to Bring Truth to FOXFAMILY Worldwide.  "They have 
refused.  We wanted to settle this quietly. Now, we feel a moral obligation 
to warn parents that programming on the Fox Family Channel is dangerous to 
the spiritual and moral health of their children."

In 1997, Pat Robertson, a Christian talk show host and founder of the 
Christian Coalition, sold his "Family Channel" to Rupert Murdoch's Fox Kids 
Worldwide for $1.9 billion.  In 1998, Fox partnered with Saban Entertainment 
to launch the Fox Family Channel.  Terms called for Robertson to remain as 
co-chairman of the Fox Family Channel and for Robertson's 700 Club to 
continue airing 2-3 times daily.

"With all the good things Mr. Robertson has to say, his 700 Club still leaks 
toxic moral waste into the minds and hearts of America's families," claims 
Dr. Mel White, another Committee Co-Chair. "We are afraid that Fox executives 
(contract bound to keep Mr. Robertson on the air) are not monitoring his 
dangerous rhetoric.  We have two years of evidence in print and in video that 
Mr. Robertson's attacks on people who disagree with his fundamentalist views 
are dangerously un-American and anti-family. His attacks on sexual minorities 
lead to suffering and even death."

At the 1:30 Press Conference the Committee will provide media representatives 
a complete archive of Robertson's "rhetoric of intolerance" in video and in 
print.  At 2PM, the clergy will walk together to the FOXFAMILY headquarters 
at 10960 Wilshire carrying their case against Robertson and their specific 
demands to Fox.  Although Fox executives have refused to meet with the 
clergy, the COMMITTEE hopes that this march will prove their sincere concern 
for America's families and motivate Fox officials to discuss ways to resolve 
this matter amicably.

Media, other clergy, and Fox executives are invited to join The Clergy 
Committee at 12Noon, February 23 for a catered lunch at the University 
Religious Conference at UCLA, 900 Hilgard Ave., Westwood, CA.  The case 
against Mr. Robertson's "rhetoric of intolerance" will be reviewed at that 
time. The Press Conference is scheduled for 1:30 at the same location.  At 
2PM the clergy invite the media to join them on the three block walk to 
FOXFAMILY Worldwide at 10960 Wilshire Blvd.

IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO JOIN THE COMMITTEE FOR LUNCH OR WOULD LIKE MORE 
INFORMATION OR A PRESS KIT WITH VIDEOS IN ADVANCE CONTACT:
DR. MEL WHITE  Ph: (949) 455-0999 OR BY EMAIL: [email-masked].