Subject: A Soulforce Plan of Action to Help Stop the Anti-GLBT Rhetoric
From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2000 19:49:07 EST

A note to our friends and allies with the LGBT press.
Keep up the good work.
We're grateful.
You are making a difference for all of us.
Mel White

Yesterday, you received a press release titled "Clergy Close Down Fox Family 
Headquarters."  (Two other press releases and the entire background of this 
Soulforce campaign--complete with samples of Pat Robertson's tragic 
rhetoric--can be found at our web page: www.soulforce.org.)

We're receiving emails from all over the country asking "What can we do to 
help bring truth to Pat Robertson and the Fox Family Channel"

Here's a plan for direct action.  If you are doing a story on the Fox Family 
campaign and would include our action plan (below) or if you would just 
publish the plan itself, it will help us get the attention of this media 
giant before more lives are ruined and more homes destroyed.

A SOULFORCE PLAN OF ACTION 
TO BRING TRUTH TO ROBERTSON AND FOX FAMILY IN YOUR TOWN
JOIN US ON THE JOURNEY TO DO JUSTICE

On March 24 Mel White and his Soulforce volunteers will march on the FOX 
FAMILY CHANNEL once again.  If you can join them in Los Angeles, you are 
invited.  Sign up for the journey at www.soulforce.org.  But if you can't be 
with them in person, be with them in spirit. You can make a huge difference 
in our town (and across the nation) by working in solidarity with Soulforce 
right where you live.

Here's what the Fox Family Channel says about itself. (Note the number of 
homes in America that have access to Mr. Robertson's anti-GLBT rhetoric 
three-times-daily.)

The Fox Family Channel launched on Saturday, August 15, 1998 in over 72 
million homes nationwide. It is a family-targeted basic cable network with a 
dynamic mix of original movies, specials and series in prime time -- and a 
fun-filled daytime lineup of newly produced and classic series for children.  
(THEY DON'T MENTION HERE …and 180 minutes daily of Mr. Robertson's false and 
inflammatory rhetoric.)

Remember, the Fox Family Channel is different from The FOX NETWORK.  The Fox 
Family Channel is a cable provider and is probably broadcast on the cable 
system(s) in your town.  If you or your group wants to help us end Mr. 
Robertson's tragic misinformation campaign, there are all kinds of things you 
can do:

BEFORE YOU ACT!
    Check the Soulforce website <A HREF="http://www.soulforce.org">[www.soulfo
rce.org]</A> or go directly to <A 
HREF="http://www.soulforce.org/foxaction.html"><<BEWARETHEFOX>></A> before 
you do anything.  You need to really understand why this is so important 
before you act.  On that site, you will find the history of this Soulforce 
campaign, important questions and answers, and samples of Mr. Robertson's 
false and inflammatory rhetoric.  Quote them when you write.

THE EMAIL RESPONSE!  (J)  (One J for doing Justice)
    Email your complaint directly to the Fox Family Channel<A 
HREF="http://www.foxfamilychannel.com/entryframe.htm">Complaint Department</A>
Pull down GENERAL COMMENTS and click on 700 CLUB. Write your complaints and 
submit them.

THE TELEPHONE RESPONSE! (JJ)
    Telephone Fox and tell them your complaints directly.  Ask that Mr. 
Cronin meet with Mel White and The Committee to Bring Truth To Fox.
        (The Main Office Line) 1-310-235-5100  (JJ)
        (The Complaint Line)   1-877-98-FAMILY (J)
 
THE POST OFFICE RESPONSE!  (JJJ)  
    Write a personal letter (use letterhead if you have it) expressing your 
complaints and asking him to meet with Mel White and the Committee to Bring 
Truth To Fox:
        Richard Cronin, President/CEO The Fox Family Channel
            10960 Wilshire Blvd.
            Los Angeles, CA 90024
        Fax It ALSO: Main Office Fax: 310-235-9560

THE FULL MONTY! Organizing locally to make a difference nationally! (JJJJ)
    If you really want to have an impact on the Fox Family Channel, respond 
in all three ways above (on your own) and then organize your group (or create 
a group) to do the following: 

1. Find the local cable company that carries the FOX FAMILY CHANNEL in your 
town.

2. Find the name, address, phone, fax, email, web page of that cable company.

3. Find the manager or program manager's name of that cable company.

4.  Go to our web page [www.soulforce.org] and click on <<Beware the Fox>>.
     
4. At our web page you will find helpful background information, questions 
and answers, and a list of quotes illustrating Mr. Robertson's rhetoric.

5. Using the material from our Soulforce web page, phone, fax, or write a 
letter to your cable manager (or even better, a petition signed by many) 
saying the following:

a. You want to meet with your local Cable Company management to discuss the 
rhetoric of Pat Robertson.  (We'll provide you videos, transcripts, and all 
the material you need to make your case.)

b. You want to protest Pat Robertson's rhetoric of intolerance (seen three 
times
       daily on the 700 Club on the Fox Family Channel).

c. You want him/her to write a letter to Richard Cronin, Fox Family 
President, to support a meeting with Mel White and the COMMITTEE TO BRING 
TRUTH TO FOX, to discuss this rhetoric as they have requested.

d. You want time locally and nationally to respond to Mr. Robertson's 
rhetoric.

6. Send copies of that letter to:
    Richard Cronin, President/CEO, the Fox Family Channel, 10960 Wilshire 
Blvd., 
        Suite 2200, Los Angeles, CA. 90024.

    Pat Robertson, CBN, 977 Centerville Turnpike, Virginia Beach, VA 23463.

    Mel White, Soulforce, PO Box 4467, Laguna Beach, CA 92652

9. If the Cable Manager will meet with you and your group, do it.  We'll send 
you all the resources you need including video tape samples and transcripts.

10.  If he/she refuses to meet with you, prepare a Soulforce Direct Action at 
the local Cable Company offices on March 24 to coincide with our March on Fox.

10. Notify your local media of your direct action and its solidarity with our 
Soulforce action on March 24.  (We can provide you a complete press kit to 
copy and distribute).

11. We'll also provide you talking points for the direct action, copy for 
signs and banners, guidelines for a nonviolent direct action, etc.

12.  If you have other ideas or suggestions, be creative.  We need to help 
end this tragic campaign of misinformation before more reputations are 
ruined, more families destroyed, more churches divided, more lives lost.

Whatever you do, THANKS!

To Contact: Mel White email directly to [email-masked].

Soulforce, 
A Network of People of Faith
Committed to Applying the Principles of Nonviolence 
(as Taught By Gandhi, Dorothy Day, and Martin Luther King, Jr.) 
to the liberation of sexual minorities.
www.soulforce.org

OK TO PRINT, PUBLISH, FORWARD, OR POST WITHOUT PERMISSION