From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 94 23:24:41 EDT

***For Immediate Release***

Contact:    Frank Whitworth, Ground Zero
            719-635-6086 voice 719-635-6106
            [email-masked]

Date:       July 15, 1994

Remarks from Mel White
Regarding Focus on the Family Press Release

COLORADO SPRINGS, CO -- Focus on the Family, arguably the
largest religious right organization in America, is beginning
to hear the message of a gay minister from Dallas.

Wednesday, the Public Policy Institute of Focus on the Family
released a five-page statement -- on corporate letterhead --
attempting to dispute the assertions of the Rev. Dr. Mel White,
who is now in the midst of a seven-day "fast for understanding."

Focus did clarify some numbers relating to the size and power
of their organization, but their statement quickly wandered
to the topic of sexual acts.

Dr. White Responds

"By trying to start a debate on sex, Focus on the Family
proves my point," said Dr. White.  "We are not here to talk
about sex, heterosexual or homosexual.  We are here to talk
about our lives and the way people treat each other."

Dr. White stated, "Instead of condemning homosexual people,
we challenge Focus on the Family to look at the ways in which
they contribute to the suffering of our gay brothers and
lesbian sisters."

"I believe their hearts are softening," said Dr. White.
"Yesterday, we met with a few Focus leaders.  With us was the
father of a gay son.  The man talked of proud he is of his son.
His concerns for his child are the same as any parent:
He wants him to be happy and to be able to live his life
free from persecution."

"I am hear to tell Focus on the Family, that just like this
good father, our Heavenly Father feels the same way about
His gay kids."

Dr. White went on, "As the parent of a gay child, this man,
too, wants to live free from scorn and accusation.  Parents of
lesbians and gays have nothing to hide.  But, my heart goes
out to the workers at Focus on the Family who have gay or
lesbian family members.  What pain they must endure working
for an organization that seeks to dehumanize and condemn."

"I continue to pray and fast for understanding." Dr. White
said with resolve.

--30--