Subject: SOULFORCE RELEASE: Judy Collins Commended for Canceling Concert
From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 7 Jul 2000 12:17:12 EDT

JUDY COLLINS CANCELS CONCERT 
 SET FOR JULY 10 AT EPISCOPAL CONVENTION
TO PROTEST DISCRIMATION BY CHURCH AGAINST
GAY, LESBIAN, BISEXUAL, and TRANSGENDER (GLBT) PERSONS 

Soulforce Commends Ms. Collins' Courage and Commitment to Justice

SOULFORCE PRESS RELEASE
July 8, 2000 FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Contact: Laura Montgomery Rutt, Media Coordinator
717-627-7180

Legendary singer and social activist, Judy Collins announced yesterday that 
she was canceling a performance on Monday, July 10, 2000 before the hierarchy 
of the Episcopal clergy at the National Episcopal Church Convention as a 
protest of their anti-glbt policies.  

In a press release from Wildflower Records sent to the Soulforce office, a 
statement by Ms. Collins said, "On Wednesday, July 5th, I was shocked to 
learn that the Episcopal Church, of which I'm member and in which I was 
married, does not have an official national church policy allowing ministers 
to officiate at same sex unions or ordain openly gay people.  Allowing each 
Diocese to determine whether or not to ordain gays and lesbians or bless same 
gender couples on a local level, rather then making a church wide decision, I 
feel is tantamount to accepting and supporting discrimination. Based on this 
indecision of the Episcopal Church, to fully accept all persons into the 
Christian faith, I must in good conscience cancel my performance at the 
Episcopal Church General convention."

The press release goes on to say, "The vote to change the 'local option', 
allowing each Diocese to determine whether or not to ordain gays and lesbians 
or bless same gender couples on a local level, rather then making a church 
wide decision, will happen next week at the convention.  In canceling her 
concert, Ms. Collins hopes to send a message to the leaders of the Christian 
community that total and equal rights for all people must be embraced 
regardless of sexual orientation."

"By canceling her concert, Judy Collins is saying, in essence, that like us, 
she loves the Episcopal Church too much to be complicit in its bigotry and 
discrimination," stated  Rev. Mel White, co-founder of Soulforce, an 
interfaith movement of individuals committed to applying the principles of 
nonviolent resistance as taught by Gandhi and King to the liberation of 
sexual and gender minorities. " Many Episcopal churches still exclude us.  
Many bishops still discriminate against us.  The debate has been going on 
long enough.  Thank you Judy for your courage and commitment to justice, and 
for taking a stand for all of God's children!"

The Rev. Dr. George F. Regas, Rector Emeritus of All Saints Church in 
Pasadena, CA, an esteemed Episcopal clergy and friend of Soulforce, stated in 
a letter to the Deputies and Bishops of the Convention, "The debate on the 
homosexuality issue has become a primary source of suffering for millions of 
lesbian and gay people.  The fact that bishops, priests and laity are at this 
General Convention to debate once again whether gay and lesbian persons are 
acceptable is obscene!"

A total of 73 people, both gay and straight, from the Episcopal church and 
many denominations all over the United States, were arrested on July 4, in an 
act of non-violent civil disobedience at the Colorado Convention Center at 
the Episcopal Church (USA) Conference in protest to exclusionary policies 
against GLBT people.

Similar Soulforce protests were held during the United Methodist General 
Conference in May, and the Southern Baptist Convention and the Presbyterian 
General Assembly in June. In November, a Soulforce delegation will conduct 
another civil disobedience at the meeting of the National Council of Catholic 
Bishops in Washington, D.C., November 13 - 16.  All participants in all 
direct actions are required to sign, wear, and uphold the Soulforce "pledge 
to nonviolence" used by Dr. Martin Luther King and his marchers in 1963.

For additional information on the Soulforce action, or to sign up for civil 
disobedience training and non-violent direct actions, go to 
http://www.soulforce.org or call (949) 455-0999.