Subject: SOULFORCE ALERT: Civil Disobedience at ECUSA in Denver, 7/4/00
From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 18:47:21 EDT

SOULFORCE TO DEMONSTRATE AT EPISCOPAL CONFERENCE
ON JULY 4th IN DENVER

PRESS CONFERENCE AT 1:15 FOLLOWED BY CIVIL DISOBEDIENCE

Demonstration to Cap off a Summer of Civil Disobedience and Arrests All 
Across the United States in Protest of the Exclusion of God's Gay, Lesbian, 
Bisexual, and Transgendered Children

MEDIA ADVISORY
June 26, 2000 FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Contact: Laura Montgomery Rutt, Media Coordinator
Cell: 717-951-7712

Laguna Beach CA - On July 4th, gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender 
individuals, and their families, friends and allies will join together in 
Denver to protest the exclusionary practices by many churches in the 
Episcopal Church USA and support the full inclusion of GLBT individuals in 
all aspects the church. The protest is being organized by Soulforce, an 
ecumenical people of faith network committed to applying the principles of 
nonviolent resistance as taught by Gandhi and King to the liberation of 
sexual and gender minorities.

"The Episcopal Church (ECUSA), like other denominations, continues to debate 
whether LGBT persons are worthy of full inclusion and membership," declared 
Kate Bishop, Soulforce Co-chair in Denver. " The debate itself is harmful and 
damaging to those within and outside of the Church. Although the Church 
presents itself as "liberal" and far ahead of other denominations, if justice 
and how it is applied toward LGBT members is used as a measure, ECUSA fairs 
no better than other denominations."

People of faith from many denominations will be taking part in the protest 
and anticipated arrests. The day begins with gathering at 8am on July 4th at 
St. Paul's United Methodist Church at 16th and Ogden. A Soulforce Training in 
Nonviolent Resistance to Injustice based on the principles of Ghandi and 
Martin Luther King will be led by Dr. Mel White beginning at 8:30am, followed 
by a picnic. The training is open to media.

As Bishops and Deputies arrive for their Opening Orientation Session at the 
Colorado Convention Center, 14th and California Streets in Denver, Soulforce 
supporters will be standing in silent vigil to greet them. A press conference 
will take place at 1:15 on the Convention Center steps, featuring 
distinguished Episcopalian leaders and other friends and allies. After the 
press conference, many of the participants are expected to take place in an 
act of non-violent civil disobedience leading to arrest.

"From the beginning of this tragic debate, Episcopal bishops, priests, and 
laity have taken courageous and costly stands for full inclusion of sexual 
and gender minorities," explained Dr. Mel White. "However, there are 
fundamentalist forces working within the Anglican Communion in this country 
and abroad that are trying to turn the entire denomination against God’s GLBT 
children. We are here to say that this debate must end! We hope that Bishops 
and Deputies will not be swayed by the dangerous and regressive voices nor by 
the toxic rhetoric of those who wish to oppress us." 

To participate in the direct action, individuals must take part in the 
Soulforce non-violence training the morning of July 4 or in a brief training 
at the Convention Center, 12:45 p.m. All participants are required to sign, 
wear, and uphold the Soulforce "pledge to nonviolence" used by Dr. Martin 
Luther King and his marchers in 1963.

Similar acts of protest were held during the United Methodist General 
Conference in May, and the Southern Baptist Convention and the Presbyterian 
General Assembly earlier this month. In November, a Soulforce delegation 
will conduct another civil disobedience at the meeting of the National 
Council of Catholic Bishops in Washington, D.C.

For additional information on the Soulforce action, or to sign up for the 
civil disobedience training and non-violent direct action, go to 
http://www.soulforce.org or call (949) 455-0999.

>>