Subject: PFLAG News: Encouraging Verdict in Methodist Investigation
From: Heather Wright <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2000 10:48:38 -0500

February 15, 2000

Contact: Paul Beeman, President, at 206/799-4560 or
	 Kirsten Kingdon, Executive Director, at 202/467-8180, ext. 215

PFLAG  NATIONAL PRESIDENT ENCOURAGED BY VERDICT IN METHODIST INVESTIGATION
OF CLERGY WHO PERFORMED SAME-GENDER HOLY UNION

	(Washington, DC)  A United Methodist Committee on Investigation may
have set an example for the entire nation in dealing with issues of gay
rights and religion, according to the Rev. Paul Beeman, President of
Parents, Families and Friends of Lesbians and Gays (PFLAG).  The committee,
in California, decided that 67 clergy will not be tried on charges of
disobedience for co-celebrating a same-sex union for a lesbian couple last
year.  The blessing of the union was contrary to the United Methodist
Judicial Council's ruling which confirmed the church's prohibition
forbidding clergy from conducting such services.  Earlier, Jimmy Creech of
Omaha, and Greg Dell of Chicago, were found guilty of performing same-gender
holy union ceremonies and were stripped of their ordinations.  Rev. Creech
will be a featured speaker at PFLAG's National Conference to be held in
Washington, D.C., April 28 through April 30, 2000. 

According to Beeman, himself an ordained United Methodist clergyman and the
parent of lesbian, gay and straight children, the committee's investigation
plowed new ground, ethically, politically and theologically.  "The
inescapable conclusion is that the committee investigated not only the
actions of the accused clergy, but also the stance of the United Methodist
Church.  It was the stance of the denomination which was found wanting."  

"What the committee did can be a model for the rest of society," Beeman
declared, noting the widespread difficulty the entire nation has dealing
with issues of human rights for gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgendered
persons.  "As Americans, we need to examine our total life together in
freedom and equality, as the committee did by insisting on a methodology
consistent with their common faith, rather than focusing narrowly on a
specific and fairly new church law."  

Beeman concluded that, "As a nation, it is critical that we find our unity
in our common commitments --to democracy, to justice and to equality for all
our citizens."

##

Parents, Families and Friends of Lesbians and Gays (PFLAG) promotes the
health and well-being of gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgendered persons,
their families and friends. Serving over 77,000 members and supporters,
PFLAG affiliates are located in 435 communities across the United States and
abroad.

1726 M Street, N.W., 
Suite 400, Washington, D.C. 20036
(202) 467-8180  Fax: (202) 467-8194 
E-mail [email-masked]  Web: http://pflag.org 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
to unsubscribe from PFLAG's Email Alert List, send
an email, subject line "unsubscribe" to [email-masked]
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~