Subject: 27 ARRESTED IN DEMONSTRATION DURING THE UNITED METHODIST GENERAL CONFERENCE
From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 11 May 2000 23:43:52 EDT

BISHOPS, CLERGY AND LAITY ARRESTED IN DEMONSTRATION DURING THE UNITED 
METHODIST GENERAL CONFERENCE

Civil Disobedience Dramatizes Frustration and Anger Regarding Votes to 
Continue to Discriminate Against Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender 
Persons

******************************
AMAR PRESS RELEASE
For Immediate Release
May 11, 2000    
Contact: Kathryn Johnson
Cell Phone: 202-246-4849
*******************************

Cleveland, OH - Today, 27 United Methodists, including 2 Bishops, were 
arrested when they moved from the floor of the United Methodist General 
Conference to the restricted area around the podium. 

A press conference and debriefing will be held on Friday, May 12, at 
12:30p.m. in the AMAR Hospitality Suite at the Sheraton, 777 St. Clair, one 
block from the Cleveland Convention Center.

Over 50 United Methodists had moved to the floor to be silent witnesses for 
those who have been wounded by discriminatory church policies when General 
Conference voted to retain language in the Book of Discipline stating that 
"homosexuality is incompatible with Christian teaching." The Book of 
Discipline is the rulebook for United Methodists.  

After the bishop presiding over the proceedings asked the witnesses to leave 
the floor, General Conference delegates voted to allow the 25 witnesses 
willing to risk arrest to maintain their silent vigil on the floor and 
proceeded with business.  

The witnesses moved to the podium to express their dismay after two 
additional votes were taken to uphold current discriminatory policies against 
lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender individuals in the church: 1) that 
lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender individuals can not be ordained, and 
2) that ministers shall not conduct same-sex unions.

As the 25 witnesses moved to the podium area, they were joined by Bishop 
Joseph Sprague and Bishop Susan Morrison.  All were arrested and charged with 
"Disrupting a Lawful Meeting," a fourth degree misdemeanor. Bishop Sprague, 
Rev. Gil Calwell, and Rev. Greg Dell had taken part in an act of civil 
disobedience that took place yesterday and were arrested today for the second 
time in two days. A $250.00 bond was paid for all the witnesses arrested.  
They will be arraigned on May 12.

"In the midst of the lie by some bishops that our church is one body united 
in hospitality and love, the people who risked arrest spoke the truth in 
love," stated Katherine Johnson, Executive Director of the Methodist 
Federation for Social Action. "We are not one body, we are a broken and 
wounded body, and our wounds are bleeding."

"We have been working within the church for a more inclusive church which 
embraces all of God's children, regardless of sexual orientation," declared 
Marilyn Alexander, Executive Director of the Reconciling Congregations 
Program. "We can no longer trust the process.  This is not about process. 
This is about people."

# # #

Affirmation: United Methodists for Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgendered 
Concerns Methodist Federation for Social Action and Reconciling Congregation 
Program

Coordinators: Jeanne Knepper, Affirmation  
Kathryn Johnson, Methodist Federation for Social Action  
Marilyn Alexander, Reconciling Congregations Program