Subject: Gays Boycott Presbyterian Holy Communion; UFMCC Offers Alternative
From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 27 Jun 1997 12:48:06 -0400 (EDT)

From The Universal Fellowship
of Metropolitan Community Churches

Note to News Editor:  The plight of gays and lesbians in the Presbyterian
Church (USA) continues to grow "curiouser and curiouser."

Presbyterian author and gay activist Chris Glaser recently issued a national
"Call To Eucharistic Fast" — a boycott of participation in Holy Communion in
any Presbyterian Church (USA) congregation, so long as they deny full
participation to gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgendered persons.

Now, the Universal Fellowship of Metropolitan Community Churches (UFMCC), a
Christian denomination with a primary ministry to gays and lesbians, has
issued an invitation to all Presbyterians of conscience to receive Holy
Communion in any UFMCC congregation. UFMCC accords all rights and privileges
of membership and ministry to gay persons.  The following news release
provides details of the invitation.

Interviews with the Rev. Elder Nancy Wilson, vice-moderator of UFMCC, may be
arranged through the UFMCC Communications Department at (310) 360-8640.

N E W S   R E L E A S E
For Immediate Release, Please

UFMCC ANNOUNCES SOLIDARITY WITH 
PRESBYTERIAN GAY & LESBIAN "EUCHARISTIC FAST"

Los Angeles -- The Universal Fellowship of Metropolitan Community Churches
(UFMCC), the world's largest denomination devoted to affirming ministry to
gays and lesbians, has extended an invitation for gay and lesbian
Presbyterians to receive Holy Communion at any of UFMCC's 300 local
congregations. 

The invitation was extended by the Rev. Elder Nancy Wilson, vice-moderator of
UFMCC and a long-time ecumenical activist, in response to the recently issued
"Call to Eucharistic Fast" by noted Presbyterian author, speaker and activist
Chris Glaser. Glaser has proposed the fast to embody protest against
Amendment B of the Presbyterian Church (USA), which denies full church
participation to gays and lesbians.

"Our Communion Table is open to all God's people," Wilson said. "During this
time of Eucharistic Fast, gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgendered
Presbyterians of conscience may partake of the Sacrament of Holy Communion at
any UFMCC congregation with the full knowledge that our community of faith
unreservedly affirms and celebrates their spirituality, conscience, and God-
given sexuality."

"I have known Chris Glaser for many years," added Wilson. "I have observed
his ministry and his spiritual devotion, and benefitted from his friendship
and wise counsel. As I read his "Call To Eucharistic Fast," I found myself
deeply moved by the plight of my Presbyterian sisters and brothers. Chris'
 words are powerful and prophetic, especially as he writes:

"Paul wrote that those who "eat and drink without discerning the body, eat
and drink judgment against themselves" (I Corinthians 11:29). Though he may
also mean without discerning the sacred dimension of the sacrament, it is
suggested by the context that he means without discerning one's connection to
other Christians (see 11:17-22). The Presbyterian Church (USA) practices a
Communion in which Presbyterians do not discern their equal relationship with
lesbian and gay, bisexual and transgendered Christians. So I will not
partake.  If we all...who reject Amendment B fast from Communion, think how
moving such a visible sign of the brokenness of Christ's Body would be.
Please prayerfully consider this."

In his "Call To Eucharistic Fast," Glaser also wrote, "I'm so glad so many of
you share the same passion for Communion that I have, a passion that will
prompt me to seek it out among...other lesbian, gay, bisexual and
transgendered Christian groups and congregations, as well as Christian
communions that do not forbid full membership to us."

Founded in 1968, UFMCC is composed of more 42,000 members in 300 local
congregations in 19 countries. Presbyterians seeking Communion with an MCC
congregation may contact UFMCC denominational headquarters by at e-mail at
[email-masked] for the location of an MCC congregation.

(  E   N   D  )

For Additional Information, Contact:
James N. Birkitt, Jr.
UFMCC Director of Communications
Universal Fellowship of Metropolitan Community Churches
8704 Santa Monica Boulevard, 2nd Floor
West Hollywood, CA 90069
Phone: (310) 360-8640
Fax: (310) 360-8680
E-mail: [email-masked]

Release Date: June 27, 1997