From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 22 Jul 1995 22:03:20 -0400

AxiosFAQ available using either of two URLs:
   http://vector.casti.com/QRD/religion/eastern.orthodox
   ftp://ftp.netcom.com/pub/ba/battweb/axios/axios.html

AXIOS U.S.A. Inc. -- Eastern & Orthodox Christian Gay Men and Women
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

What is AXIOS?

AXIOS is an organization of Eastern & Near Eastern Orthodox, and
Byzantine & Eastern-rite Catholic Gay & Lesbian lay Christians.

What does the word AXIOS mean?

It is taken from the Greek liturgical word which describes a truly
worthy and deserving person.

Who belongs to AXIOS?

A Gay or Lesbian person who belongs to, or has been educated and reared
in, or converted to the Eastern Christian tradition.  It often, but
not always, means people of Greek, Slavic, Albanian, Semitic or Armenian
heritage.  Though AXIOS is a lay organization, bishops, priests and
other clergy have also become members.

Who founded AXIOS?

AXIOS was founded in Los Angeles, CA in 1980.  Interested gay people in
New York established an east-coast branch founded on the same principles
as the Californian group.  Chapters also have formed in Colorado;
Ohio; Pennsylvania; Chicago, IL; Boston, MA; San Francisco, CA and Detroit,
MI (the Detroit chapter is only operating informally at this time).  We also
have two chapters outside the U.S., in Canada and Australia.

While Roman Catholics and Protestants have had recourse to their own
varied support groups, Eastern Christians have had none until the
founding of AXIOS, an organization in which all may participate who come
from the various Eastern Christian traditions.

Together we can render support and positive reinforcement based on our
common situations: being a religious minority in the United States and
within that, and above all, a sexual-orientation minority as well.

Why was AXIOS founded?

* In order to address the issue of human sexuality within Eastern
Christianity.

* In order to affirm that gay men and women can live an active life of
prayer and witness.

* For our mutual spiritual strength, stability, and well-being.

* For our desire to bridge the gulf between the church community and
the gay community with love and through dialogue, prayer, service, and
education.

* For the comfort, help, and support of our brothers and sisters and
their families in realizing the joys and responsibilities of God's
wondrous gift of sexuality.

* For the protection against stigmatization, repression and acts of
intolerance.

* For the opportunity to serve others in acts of charity and love as
individuals and as a group.

* For the study of our rich and varied heritages and traditions.

* For a true sense of appreciation for each other and to achieve a
spirit of fun and enjoyment in our development.

What is Eastern Christianity?

* AXIOS includes within its membership most Eastern Christian Churches.

* We number predominantly Orthodox of the Greek and varied Slavic
Churches, and their counterparts among Byzantine-rite Catholics.  We
also include non-Chalcedonian Orthodox Christians as well as their
Catholic affiliates.

* In general we all employ the same Eastern liturgical rites and
follow the Byzantine-rite prayer book.

* Among the membership of AXIOS, we use English in our prayer meetings
and accept in ecumenical brother- and sisterhood all Eastern Christians.

What does AXIOS do?

* Meetings begin with a Vespers service and typically include a guest
speaker, discussion, or presentation.

* Members engage in research, dialogue with church authorities and members of
the gay and lesbian community, help with the newsletter or other projects.
We keep in regular contact between meetings and share and disseminate news of
interest to our community.

* The New York and Washington, D.C. chapters have been regular participants
in the Pride festivals of their respective cities and also have participated
in other events, e.g. the Spiritual Rainbow and some N.C.C.C. conferences.

* We have a variety of literature and other items available: essays on
theological issues, homosexuality and Orthodoxy, lives of saints, biblical
misinterpretation, the Rite of Brotherhood; icons of Our Lord Jesus Christ,
the Theotokos, and various saints; buttons. 

* We are currently publishing a prayer book containing well-known and
harder-to-find prayers of the Church in a format suitable for the private or
public devotions of laypersons anywhere, without a priest necessarily being
present.  

* We refer members to understanding priests or warn them about hostile ones,
where the information is available.

Chapters and Contact Persons for AXIOS U.S.A.

* Head Chapter:

AXIOS USA			Meets 2nd Friday of every month, 8 P.M.,
P.O. Box 990 Village Station	at L/G Community Center, 208 W. 13 St.
New York, NY 10014-0704		(near Seventh Avenue), New York, NY.
(718) 805 - 1952		Newsletter published bimonthly.
(917) 614 - 1693		Has AIDS Ministry & referral service.
(212) 989 - 6211

E-mail: [email-masked]

* Other Chapters:

AXIOS - D.C.			Meets 3rd Friday of every month, 7:30 P.M.,
1630 "R" St. NW, #426		St. Thomas Episcopal Church, 18th & Church
Washington, DC 20009		St., N.W., near Dupont Circle; also other
(202) 387 - 5326		events at various locations.
				Newsletter: Charis.

AXIOS - San Francisco		Newsletter: The Orthodox Convert.
640 Polk St., Apt. #201		Chapel on premises. 
San Francisco, CA 94102		Call or write for other information.
(415) 673 - 6729

AXIOS - Chicago			Newsletter, monthly meetings, and more.
5601 N. Sheridan Rd., #5B	Call or write for details.
Chicago, IL  60660.		
(312) 271 - 1027
E-mail: [email-masked]

* Chapters without Regularly Scheduled Meetings; contact for more
information:

AXIOS - Los Angeles		Join choir forming to practice for Vespers.
P.O. Box 461423			Join reader group to learn Tones together.
West Hollywood, CA 90046-9423
Phone: (213) 851-2256  Fax: (213) 851-2372
E-mail: [email-masked]
URL   ftp://ftp.netcom.com/pub/ba/battweb/axios/axios.html

AXIOS - Ohio (in formation)
P.O. Box 6742
Youngstown, OH 44501-6742
(216) 270 - 0526
e-mail: [email-masked]

AXIOS - Colorado
P.O. Box 1173
Colorado Springs, CO 80901-1173
(719) 475 - 8273 (Colorado Springs, CO)
(303) 343 - 9997 (Denver, CO)

AXIOS - Western Pennsylvania (in formation)
Arbutus Village #A-18
Johnstown, PA 15904

AXIOS - Boston
P.O. Box 380739
Cambridge, MA 02238
(617) 648 - 5737 or (617) 569 - 4364
[email-masked] (preferred)
[email-masked]

AXIOS - New Orleans (in formation)
3500 Division Avenue, #399
Metairie, LA 70002
(504) 885-6856
e-mail: [email-masked]

* International Chapters:

AXIOS - Edmonton (Canada)	Meets at Les./Gay Centre of Edmonton.
10214 116 St., #1
Edmonton, Alberta T5K 1W4
(403) 454-8449
e-mail: [email-masked]

AXIOS - Australia
12 Capella Street
Coorparoo 4151
(07) 397-4813; (+61-7) 397-4813 outside Australia
e-mail: [email-masked]

------------------------------------------------------------------
Membership is $18/year; contact individual chapters regarding
special arrangements or newsletter-only subscriptions.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
(detach membership form here)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
M E M B E R S H I P    F O R M    (facsimiles are OK also)

YES! I would like to join AXIOS USA.  I understand that the information 
I provide below will remain confidential.

Sustaining dues $18.00
			 
			Name:_________________________________________

			Address:______________________________________
			 
			______________________________________________

(Optional information):	Telephone: (     )_____-__________

			Fax: (     )_____-__________

			E-mail/Internet address:______________________

Please make checks payable to:	AXIOS,
and mail with this form to:	P.O. Box 990 -- Village Station
				New York, NY 10014-0704.

Axios USA, Inc. is incorporated as a nonprofit organization under New 
York State law.