Subject: CC Voter Guides in Churches (Part IV)
From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 14 Oct 1996 10:25:07 -0400

Note: The salient point can be found in the last paragraph--alternative
faith-based voter guides!

October 12, 1996		
				         
RELIGIOUS AND CIVIL RIGHTS LEADERS URGE CHRISTIAN COALITION 
TO REPUDIATE USE OF RACE AS WEDGE  ISSUE 
BY CANDIDATES  AND ORGANIZATIONS
Civil Rights Leader Julian Bond Joins The Interfaith Alliance
 
(WASHINGTON, D.C.)  The Interfaith Alliance (TIA) today called on the
Christian Coalition to repudiate the use of race as a wedge issue under
the guise of Christianity.  Yesterday it was revealed the Christian
Coalition had been distributing samples of their 1996 voter guides which
depict a white candidate,  John Doe, supporting their views and a black
candidate, Joe Sample, disagreeing with the Christian Coalition on all
10 issues.

"First Ralph Reed publicly urges Bob Dole to use ‘cultural wedge issues’
to aid his campaign and then Reed shows Mr. Dole how its done by
exploiting the oldest cultural wedge issue in the book," said Julian
Bond, Board Member of the NAACP and recently named Advisory Board Member
of TIA.  "The fact that the Christian Coalition would employ such a
tactic is disgraceful in itself, but to do so under the guise of
Christianity is absolutely abhorrent." 

"Although Ralph Reed may occasionally preach about racial equality and
Christian morality, come election time those lofty values are
expeditiously tossed aside in favor of racial wedges and  voter
manipulation," said Mr. Bond.  On Wednesday October 9, 1996,  The New
York Times quoted Christian Coalition Executive Director Ralph Reed as
urging Bob Dole to use "some of the cultural wedge issues as a magnet to
draw traditional voters."  

"This latest racially charged campaign tactic should come as no surprise
from an organization which first made its mark politically by blatantly
supporting the man who turned race-baiting into an art form, North
Carolina Senator Jesse Helms," said Jill Hanauer, Executive Director of
TIA.

"Faith-based organizations have historically been a healing and
constructive force in American public life, which is why it saddens me
to see a group, under the banner of Christianity, utilizing such
divisive tactics," said Rev. Albert Pennybacker, President of TIA.

The Interfaith Alliance (TIA) is a national faith-based organization
with chapters in 35 states and members from more than 45 different faith
communities.  TIA draws on shared religious principles to promote the
positive role of religion in public life, and encourages the active
participation in the political process by all people of good will.      

Next week, The Interfaith Alliance will hold a press conference issuing
a comprehensive "Voter Guide Warning" for American voters detailing past
Christian Coalition voter guide distortions and deceptions and releasing
an alternative faith-based voter guide.  

(For more information or to subscribe to the complete, unique and timely
reportage/commentary of The "c.c.watch" Electronic News Service, call
305/751-5001. We track and report on the activities of Pat Robertson, his
many enterprises [especially the Christian Coalition], and his fellow
travelers...and then we disseminate information that the public might never
otherwise receive.)