Subject: POM Update
From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 8 Apr 1996 09:35:13 -0400

PFLAG: Parents, Families and Friends of Lesbians and Gays
Project Open Mind
Weekly Update
April 5, 1996

FOR EXTERNAL USE

General

We have been asked to provide a copy of the letter sent by PFLAG to Pat
Robertson and CBN following the 700 Club program on March 26th, during which
our name was mistated, the phrase "misguided parents" was used and our
organization was ridiculed.  The text of the letter, sent of 4/2/96, follows:

Dear Dr. Robertson:

On the Tuesday, March 26th edition of your program, the 700 Club, you made
comments about PFLAG and "misguided parents".  You went further, feigning
lack of knowledge of our organization.  Worse still, your female co-host
said, "Parents, Families and Lovers of...something".  Your comments disparage
tens of thousands of loving parents of gay and lesbian children.  Your
co-host's comment mistates who we are and your joint laughter about it was
unprofessional.

In light of our public differences and your organization's efforts to stop
the airing of our television commercials, we find it difficult to believe you
do not know who PFLAG is or that our name is an acronym for "Parents,
Families and Friends of Lesbians and Gays".   We doubt that if you were ever
 willing to meet with some of our parents that you would continue this type
of shameful behavior.  Demonstrating the true meaning of "family values" and
parental love, our members refuse to sit by silently while people like you
attack their children and loved ones.  

In your response to our campaign, Project Open Mind, your organization
repeatedly stated that you "reach out with love" to gays and lesbians and
their families.  Yet, you continue to use your national platform as a bully
pulpit to attack and demonize millions of loving, responsible Americans.  Dr.
Robertson, we challenge you to match the kind of unconditional love that our
members extend to their gay and lesbian loved ones everyday of their lives.  

We request a public on-air apology for your careless remarks about our
members and for your co-host's attempt at humor to discredit a national
organization with 389 chapters in every state and 11 foreign countries.  We
look forward to hearing from you soon.

Sincerely,

Sandra Gillis
Executive Director

Media Coverage

3/15 - OutSmart Mgazine - Houston - g/l monthly - news story on Hate Crimes
 Community Meeting; article on "Moms and Dads" trip
3/15 - Houston Voice - g/l weekly paper - news story on "Moms and Dads" trip
3/15 - This Week in Texas - statewide g/l weekly magazine - news story on
"Moms
 and Dads" trip
3/21 - The Texas Triangle - statewide g/l weekly paper - news story on "Moms
and
 Dads" trip
3/28 - The Texas Triangle - human interest story on "Moms and Dads" trip by
Kyle     Young
 
Action Items

* We continue to need contributions for the expansion of Project Open Mind.
 We will launch publicly in Seattle in June and two other cities in September
- 
 Television buys are expensive, yet the most cost effective in terms of the
 numbers of people that are reached.  Please send your contribution today!

 PFLAG
 Project Open Mind
 PO Box 96519
 Washington, DC  20090-6519

 Please indicate "Project Open Mind" on your check.  We thank you for
 helping us fight back against hate speech and discrimination!

This concludes this week's Update - Jeffrey Garrett, Campaign Manager,
Project Open Mind ([email-masked])