Subject: Gary Bauer For President?
From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 7 Jan 1999 21:43:26 EST

GARY BAUER FOR PRESIDENT?
by Michael Grantham
January 7, 1999

For permission to reprint email [email-masked]
http://www.kwiksand.com/grantham

	As more and more U.S. presidential hopefuls step into the ring for a 2000
bid, none could stir and invigorate the political prowess of gays and lesbians
like the prospect of a "Gary Bauer for President" campaign. Over the past
several months, Bauer, head of the religious conservative Family Research
Council, has postured himself before ultra-conservatives as their candidate
for President.
	For years, Bauer's calculated attacks on gays and lesbians have helped
empower disillusioned religious political extremists by demonizing a once
politically powerless minority. Perhaps not envisioning a run for public
office, Bauer began distancing himself from moderate Americans and helped
define his political base by driving a wedge between more moderate
conservatives and the religious right.
	In a bid to represent "the will of the people," Bauer has more to clean up
and reconcile than he'll ever admit. Luckily, it would take more than a $30
million campaign war chest to convince the American public otherwise, much
less build a platform from which to politically hang himself.
	While most gays and lesbians cringe at the idea of enduring a Bauer
presidential campaign, some gay and lesbian strategists welcome it. Think
about it. In order for Bauer to even hope to gain the support he needs to
become President, he has to first appeal to more than a handful of religious
extremists.
	Support from middle America has a price. For Bauer, the cost would be
sacrificing his devoted attacks on gays and lesbians, which he has stated he
would not give up. He would also have to re-make himself by out spending his
own campaigns that helped separate him from the values of fair-minded
Americans. That is no easy task, according to Bauer's own assessments.
	During the spectacle of a Bauer campaign for President, amid the most
expensive media attention we will have ever experienced, the causes of gay and
lesbian civil rights has the power to publicly deconstruct Bauer as a symbol
of an era's fading bigotry. Much worse can be expected for those supporters
Bauer will embolden yet severely alienate from the political process. By
placing him on the defensive, Bauer himself would contrast his scripted shift
to a moderate tone with the divisive message closest to his heart.
	After marginalizing the politically unpopular language and message of his
supporters in this process, Bauer will succeed in giving America a new
definition of the "L" word "Loser" coupled with the amalgamation of the words
"bigot" and "Gary Bauer." The math is relatively simple, so his campaign staff
shouldn't take it personally.
	Bauer's rendez-vous with determined defeat will be underscored by the
Millennium March on Washington and the Equality Begins at Home marches. The
timing will be impeccable. The convergence of our community's
resolve in the streets with a presidential campaign the likes of Gary Bauer
will raise the national dialogue on civil rights like none other.
	Again, most gays and lesbians may not be able to resist getting personal when
faced with $30 million worth of Bauer's calm, sharp tone. However, nothing
could help Bauer more than if we begin launching personal attacks. One: the
media could play into Bauer's characterization that gays and lesbian are
merely a radical element with nothing to add to the public debate other than
personal attacks. Two: we could end up helping Bauer cosy up to moderate
America by presenting him with a ready-made image of people who want to
"censor" other's first amendment rights while pushing our's to the limit.
Bauer, ofcourse, will provide some endearing examples of that.
	In local debates and editorial pages, gays and lesbians should frame the
debate right off  the bat. "We defend the First Amendment rights of everyone,
including Gary Bauer. We're not asking him to shut up, in fact, we'd like to
hear more, and ask Mr. Bauer to explain himself." Nothing would turn America
off more than enduring Bauer's answers to gay and lesbian Americans asking him
to defend himself. Besides, a Bauer on the defense is a Bauer not on the
offense. That means less of his message and more of ours. Hmmmm.  "Gary Bauer
for President!"

	Michael Grantham is a consultant living in Washington, DC. Please send your
Gary Bauer quotes with full citations to: [email-masked]. A compilation
will be available for those writing local Letters to the Editor at
http://www.kwiksand.com/grantham