Subject: Falwell Dinner On. Protests Threatened. Press Credential
From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 7 Oct 1999 00:53:18 EDT

Dear Editor,
I've enclosed a press release and two recent articles from the Lynchburg 
paper on our Soulforce Journey to Lynchburg, Virginia.  The media are 
fascinated by this experiment in reconciliation.  Jerry is under fire from 
his friends, but he's not backing down. THE DINNER IS ON.  Fred Phelps and 
other hate groups have promised to protest our presence in Lynchburg.  A gay 
activist is bringing folks from Florida to join in that protest.  (See 
articles below)

If you want an interview with me for up to date information or with someone 
in our delegation from your area call my partner, Gary Nixon, at 
949-455-0999.  To be credentialed for the press conference, interviews, and 
official coverage of the events, see information below.

I had no idea when we began our email Journey into Soulforce with 5,000 folks 
where it all would end.  We still don't.  Follow the news on our web page: 
www.soulforce.org.  In the meantime, I want to ask a favor.  

Two hundred lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgendered people of faith and several 
of our heterosexual allies (like Jimmy Creech) are making this Soulforce 
Journey to Lynchburg, October 22-24.  We're setting out to help change the 
minds and hearts of Jerry and 200 of his leaders who will spend the weekend 
with us.

During our dinner, we're going to present checks totaling $20,000 dollars to 
help Habitat for Humanity build a three bedroom home for a homeless family. 
We're encouraging Jerry and his people to build it with us. We need your help 
to raise the funds.  We're asking each delegate to get 10 friends to write a 
check for $10 to Habitat for Humanity.  Here's how you can help.

1. Will you encourage your readers to write a check to Habitat for Humanity 
for $10?  Every dime will go towards building the Agape (friendship) house in 
Lynchburg.  Each gift is tax-deductible.  The donor's name (or the name of 
someone he/she wants to memorialize) will be written on a scroll and buried 
in the foundation of that house.

The media will report to the world that gay, lesbian, bisexual, and 
transgendered people and their allies came to Lynchburg and built a house for 
a needy family.  It's just another way to demonstrate that we have family 
values, too!!!

2. Would you also tell your readers that we're actually going to build the 
house in Lynchburg over about 12 weekends.  If they live anywhere near 
Lynchburg, or could drive there for a weekend (or even want to fly), we need 
volunteers to help us build.  Gay men are OK.  Our lesbians can train them.  
If youreaders would like to be on our email Volunteer Builder's List, just 
let me know.  Being on the list doesn't commit you to anything but an 
occasional Soulforce email announcing the weekends when we'll be building a 
house together.

We could really use your help.  Even if your October edition is out, the 
checks can come in through 2,000.  All it takes is $10, the price of a movie 
and a bag of popcorn to leave an impression on Lynchburg and the country that 
will help us change minds and hearts about God's GLBT children.   

Thanks for your work on behalf of our community.  

Mel

PS: Have your readers send their check to Soulforce Central 
                        First Christian Church 
                                    3109 Rivermont Avenue
                          Lynchburg, VA. 24503
                                                       ATTN: Sandy Knodel

 A Falwell Press Release
Jerry Falwell to Host Anti-Violence Summit 
With Gay Leaders; Lynchburg
Minister and Gay Minister Mel White to Lead Forum, October 23

LYNCHBURG, Va., Sept. 30 - Jerry Falwell and 200 guests of
his ministries will host Mel White,  gay minister and author of
Stranger at the Gate: To Be Gay and Christian in America, and 200 of
White's guests for a forum on Saturday, Oct. 23.  Participants in the
forum will discuss the tragic and unprecedented rise of violence in the
nation and the inflammatory language that often leads to violent acts. 
The meeting will be held on the campus of Liberty University in Lynchburg,
from 4:00-5:30 p.m. and will be followed by a formal press conference at
5:30 p.m. 

Mel White is chairman of Soulforce Inc., "an ecumenical network of
volunteers committed to teaching and applying the principles of
nonviolence on behalf of sexual minorities."  Soulforce is conducting an
invitation-only weekend gathering in Lynchburg for some 200 gay men,
lesbians, their friends, and family members from 30 states. 

Falwell met with White in Lynchburg in August and offered to host a
meeting next month during White's weekend gathering to "engage in
charitable and civil discourse on homosexuality and to encourage activists
on both sides of the issue to unite in opposing hatred and violence toward
homosexuals and toward those who sincerely believe homosexuality to be
morally wrong." 

Fax credential request media organization letterhead to "Lynchburg 
Credntials" (770) 476-0122.  Include the number of credentials needed, along 
with media position/function (names are not required).  Deadline for 
credential requests is 12 noon, Thursday, October 21.  Response to credential 
requests will be mailed within three working days of request reception.

To contact Jerry Falwell or for more information: Jeremy Blume/Mark DeMoss
(770) 813-000  pager: (800) 204 3446 

To contact Mel White or to get the number of a local member of the 
Lynchburg200, 
call Gary Nixon, (949) 455-0999 or email your request to [email-masked].
Cell phone and after October 13 (949) 933-3592

Gay Minister Will Still Meet With Falwell
Gay, anti-gay sides will discuss issue Oct. 22-24

Shannon Brennan, The News & Advance, September 22, 1999
(http://www.newsadvance.com/index.htm)

Plans are firming up for an unusual meeting in October between the Rev. Jerry 
Falwell and gay minister Mel White.Each will be flanked by 200 supporters who 
hope to get acquainted-with the goal of lowering inflammatory rhetoric on 
both sides. 

[Deleted article.  [email-masked]]

Gay, Anti-Gay Groups May Protest in City
A Miami Organization Gets Permit to Protest Falwell-White Meeting

Shannon Brennan, The News & Advance  September 23, 1999
(http://www.newsadvance.com/newsitems/news1.htm)

Once home to the Moral Majority, Lynchburg may soon be hosting the Oral 
Majority - along with Tinky Winky and a donkey. A Miami Beach pro-gay 
organization, the Oral Majority, has a permit to protest the upcoming meeting 
Oct. 23 between the Rev. Jerry Falwell and 200 of his followers and the Rev. 
Mel White and 200 of his supporters. 

[Deleted article.  [email-masked]]