Subject: Lesbian Avengers Press Release
From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 9 Feb 1995 18:16:04 -0500

The following press release is being distributed by NGLTF for the Lesbian
Avengers.  Questions should be directed to LA at the numbers listed.
--------------
THE LESBIAN AVENGERS
a direct action group of lesbian, bisexual, and transgendered women focused
on issues vital to our survival and visibility. 
Hotline: (415) 267-6195.

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:
For more information, contact Liz Harris at (415) 824-8509.
PHOTOS AVAILABLE FROM:
Rick Gerharter, (415) 824-5300. Or Jane Cleland, (415) 661-3878. Or Judi
Parks, (510)268-8260.

Anti-Queer Agency Targeted for Protest
Exodus International Swarmed by Plague of Locusts

SAN RAFAEL, CALIF., FEBRUARY 8, 1995 -- The San Francisco Lesbian Avengers
summoned a "plague of locusts" onto Exodus International today, a cult-like
organization whose mission is to "cure" people of their homosexuality.  The
San Francisco Avengers chose to target Exodus because conversion programs, a
largely invisible form of Christian Right organizing, have profoundly
devastating effects on lesbian, bisexual, and gay people.

 "If anyone deserves a plague of Biblical proportions right now, it's the
Radical Right," said Avenger Liz Harris.

 Five Avengers stormed the organization's headquarters, carrying signs
proclaiming "Queer Love Is Not A Disease," and chanting "Exodus, stop your
hate and fear!  Help like yours is killing queers!"  Once inside, the
activists climbed onto the reception desk, shouted "We don't need to be
cured," and released 1,000 "locusts" (crickets) in an attempt to shut the
operation down.  The Exodus staff watched dumbfounded as a swarming pile of
crickets spread across their office floor.  One woman picked up the phone and
dialed 911, shaking as she said, "There are lesbians here with bugs."  By the
time she was able to convince the police that it wasn't a prank call, the
Avengers were on their way back to San Francisco.

 An umbrella referral agency, Exodus claims to have converted 100,000 people
since 1976 through a network of 75 "ex-gay ministries" in North America, and
affiliated organizations in England, Singapore, Australia, and the
Philippines.  "Freedom from homosexuality," according to Exodus promotional
materials, "is increasingly experienced as the former homosexual matures
through ongoing submission to the Lordship of Christ and His Church."  

 Such major right-wing operations as Focus on the Family, the Billy  Graham
Evangelistic Association, and the 700 Club refer people to Exodus for
placement in groups and live-in conversion programs.   

 The Avengers say that groups like Exodus fit into a wider Radical Right
attack on bisexuals, lesbians, and gays. They say conversion programs work to
covertly eliminate individual homosexuals, while more overt legislative
initiatives are designed to create a hostile social climate for queer people.

 "'Ex-gays' are the trophies of the far Right," says Avenger Katie Hern.
"They're used in right wing propaganda to prove that homosexuality is a
chosen perversion.  And that we therefore don't deserve basic civil rights."

 The Plague of Locusts demonstration is part of a broader campaign the
Avengers are waging against the Christian Right. Fight the Right actions have
been staged by many of the more than 60 Avenger chapters across the U.S.,
Canada, Great Britain, and Russia.  And the New York chapter's Civil Rights
Organizing Project were instrumental in defeating Proposition One, the
anti-queer initiative on Idaho's November ballot.

 Many bisexuals, lesbians and gays become involved in conversion programs
because they can't reconcile their conservative religious backgrounds to
their sexual orientation. Some have been devastated by learning they are
HIV-positive and are searching for emotional support.

 "The ex-gay ministries pretend to provide a service to struggling,
traumatized people" says Lesbian Avenger Harris, "In reality, this is a
cult."

 According to past participants who have rejected program teachings --
ex-ex-gays --  Exodus leaders zero in on people's weakest emotional areas.
For example, HIV-positive gay men are told that they are being punished by
God for their homosexuality.  Kathy, who was forced into a live-in program by
her family, was told that she was only a lesbian because she had been raped.
Program leaders insisted that if she turned to Christ for support, she could
overcome what they called her hostility toward men. 

 "Of the women I spoke with," says Kathy, who asked that her last name not be
used, "I would say 99.9% of us had a history of being sexually, physically,
or emotionally abused. And they really used that."

 At the home where she was placed, five monitors kept constant watch over the
seven women participants. Doors were locked from the outside during "support
groups." And participants were informed that, to avoid temptation, they could
go nowhere by themselves during the year-long program.  Kathy was expelled
after only two days for resisting treatment, but program leaders continued to
call her three times a week until she left the area. Their calls alternated
between two messages: that they loved her and that she was going to Hell.
 According to past participants, both Kathy's experiences at the treatment
center and the harassment she endured afterwards are typical of ex-gay
ministries under the Exodus umbrella.  
--more--

 Some turn to organizations like Evangelicals Concerned for help, a
nation-wide, non-profit corporation founded in 1976, that helps people to
reconcile their homosexuality with their Christianity (Hotline:
415-621-3297).  They make furtive calls to the group's hotline during the
rare moments they can get away from their "buddy." This can be especially
difficult because they are usually employed in program-designated jobs, where
at least one leader or fellow participant is always present to monitor them.
 Others seek out Evangelicals Concerned after they are expelled from
conversion programs for questioning their orthodoxy and methodology.

 Few participants actually become heterosexuals. According to the
documentary, One Nation Under God, Gary Cooper and Michael Bussee, the gay
male founders of Exodus, have been lovers since 1979 and have publicly
denounced the organization.

 "What's insidious about the whole thing," says Jallen Rix, an ex-ex-gay and
Evangelicals Concerned volunteer, "is that the ministries are very convinced
they're being loving.  They would never believe they're being hateful."

 Rix says that after years of praying, watching only program-approved
television and movies, memorizing scripture, and rigorously modifying their
behavior, participants often become despondent when they can't change their
underlying sexual attractions.  He has seen many become obsessive, mentally
ill, and even suicidal. One man's suicide note particularly affected Rix: "He
wrote, 'I would rather kill myself and be with God than live as a gay person
and spend eternity in Hell.'" 

Additional Contacts:
Jallen Rix, Evangelicals Concerned volunteer: 415-621-3297.

Robert Bray, Fight the Right Project, National Gay and Lesbian Task Force:
415-552-6448.

Kathy spoke to us on the condition that her real name not be released.  She
is, however, willing to talk anonymously with reporters.  To arrange to speak
with Kathy, contact Liz Harris: 415-824-8509.

Liz Galst, reporter, The Boston Phoenix: 617-350-0096.

--end--