Subject: News: Dobson's "Focus On The Family" Attacks UFMCC, Troy Perry
From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 1997 20:45:03 -0500 (EST)

Monday, Nov, 24, 1997

News: Dobson's "Focus On The Family" Attacks UFMCC, Troy Perry

The following report received from the Rev. Arthur Runyan, senior minister at
Christ the Liberator MCC, Piscataway, New Jersey:

The local Christian radio station plays a five-minute program every morning
at 6am called "Family News in Focus," produced by Focus on the Family.  6am
is when my clock radio clicks on so that is the first thing I hear every day.
 Unfortunately, because I am just waking up I don't always hear every word.

This morning the lead story was about Troy Perry's visit to the White House.
 They referred to our reverend moderator as "the sado-masochist leader of the
world's largest gay church."  Then there was a part about the various
"blasphemies" our denomination teaches concerning the apostle John, but I
didn't catch all that, alas.  In order to thoroughly frighten their listeners
they ended with an ominous factoid:  "the majority of gay Christians do not
belong to gay churches but work within other churches."

It occurs to me that this may start a modern day "witch hunt" where suspected
homosexuals are driven out of mainline and evangelical churches in vast
numbers.  If that is the case, we may double in size this year alone!

I will call my local radio station to see if this morning's broadcast will be
re-broadcast some time later today so I can get every word on tape.  But what
with the time difference and becasue it is nationally syndicated, you can
probably catch it on the west coast some time later today as well.

I wish you peace.
(The Rev.) Arthur Runyan