Subject: A PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT
From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 1997 23:02:08 -0400 (EDT)

A PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT for a unique "how to" gathering sponsored by
the Texas Freedom Network and People for the American Way--
_______________________________________________________

Join us for this first-ever conference for community and religious
activists from states across the country.  We will provide training and
discussion with national experts and experienced statewide organizers
onthe topic of the religious right and how to build an effective
alternative in your state.

DEFEATING THE RELIGIOUS RIGHT AT HOME:
GRASSROOTS ACTIVISM FOR STATE AND RELIGIOUS LEADERS

NATIONAL CONFERENCE - Austin, Texas
Location: Texas State Teachers Association, 316 W. 12th Street
Date: Friday Noon, September 26 - Sunday Noon, September 28

FEATURED SPEAKERS
The Reverend Timothy McDonald III, Pastor, First Inconium Baptist
Church, Atlanta
Carole Shields, President, People for the American Way
Cecile Richards, Executive Director, Texas Freedom Network
Becky Brooks, Founder, Colorado Freedom Network
Mike Lux, Political Director, People for the American Way
Gregory Lebel, Interim Executive Director, The Interfaith Alliance
Julie Segal, Legislative Counsel, Americans United for Separation of
Church & State

CONFERENCE SCHEDULE/RELATED INFORMATION

Friday, September 26

Registration
Welcome and Introductions
Learning from the Right: Building Grassroots Orgs. at a Local Level
(Speakers from various states)
Faith and Politics for Mainstream Activists: Organizing a Statewide
Religious Network
Far Right Agenda in Communities of Color: Vouchers, Hope Scholarships &
Prayer in School
Regional Discussions

Saturday, September 27  

Coffee
Public Education & the Religious Right: State & Local School Board
Issues, Vouchers & Tuition Tax Credits
Far Right Assault on Civil Rights: What We Can Anticipate in ‘98
Tax Status of Local Organizations (C3/C4/PAC): Legal, Political &
Financial Considerations
Lunch Provided
Voters’ Guides, Voter Identification, Initiative & Referendum:
Effectively Countering Right Wing Activity
Free Media & Message Development: Countering the Right in the News
Using Grassroots Fundraising to Support Local Organizations: Mail,
Events & Membership
Mobilizing Grassroots Activists: Internal Communication Strategies
Reception: Music and Food!

Sunday, September 28

Interdenominational Religious Service
Making the Most of Existing Resources: Research, Legal & Fundraising
Assistance
Future Coordination Between States: Meetings, Training & Communication
Closing

HOTEL ACCOMODATIONS
Rooms are reserved at the Omni Hotel at the rate of $85/night for single
or double occupancy.  Reservations need to be made by September 5 in
order to guarantee rate and availability.  The Omni is located at 700
San Jacinto in downtown Austin.  Phone for reservations at 800-843-6664
and let them know you are coming to the Texas Freedom Network/People for
the American Way conference.

Conference Location
The conference will be held at the Texas State Teachers Association
building at 316 West 12th Street (corner of Lavaca and 12th).  It is
appropriately 8 blocks from the Omni Hotel.

Transportation
The Omni Hotel runs a free shuttle to and from the airport for guests.
If there is no Omni van at the airport when you arrive, simply use the
Omni Hotel courtesy phone, located in the baggage claim area of the
airport, to let them know you need transportation to the hotel.  Taxi
fare from the airport to the Omni is $9.00.

Questions
If you have questions about the conference or logistics, please call the
Texas Freedom Network at 512/322-0545 or e-mail us at [email-masked] or
call Judy Mela at People for the American Way 800-326-7329.  We look
forward to seeing you!

REGISTRATION FORM
________ Yes, I want to register for the Texas Freedom Network/People
for the American Way national training conference September 26-28.

Name:   
Address:
City:
State:
ZIP:
Home Phone:
Work Phone:
Fax Number:
Organization:
Email:

________  $50 Conference Registration (Registration fee includes coffee
and muffins on Saturday & Sunday morning, Saturday lunch and evening
reception, and materials)

Due to our activist nature, contributions to the Texas Freedom Network
are not tax deductible.

Enclosed is my check for _______.  Please make checks payable to the
Texas Freedom Network and return to:
 
Texas Freedom Network
P.O. Box 1624
Austin, TX  78767
T: 512/322-0545
F: 512/322-0550
E-mail: [email-masked]
Web site: http://www.tfn.org