Subject: Fwd:right wing anti-Gay action alert...
From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 6 Apr 1997 09:01:14 -0400 (EDT)

Hi everyone... I thought I would take time from our campaign for the DC
Council seat and forward this "action alert" from the "american family
association"  They incorrectly refer to the Windy City Times as a "homosexual
paper in Seattle"

 Use the information as you see fit....

Steve Michael and Wayne Turner

PS we will be sending out some stuff on our campaign and about the
Presidential Advisory Council on AIDS in the next two days....
---------------------
Forwarded message:
From:	[email-masked] (Buddy Smith)
Sender:	[email-masked]
To:	[email-masked]
Date: 97-04-06 06:50:47 EDT

The AFA Alert is a one-way list. Responses will not be posted to the list.
AFA ACTION ALERT

American Family Association <><	
Dr. Donald E. Wildmon, President
P. O. Drawer 2440 
Tupelo, Mississippi 38803
Telephone: 601/844-5036
Fax: 601/844-9176
Email: [email-masked]
World Wide Web: http://www.afa.net

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

American Family Association decided to allow subscribers to the AFA
ACTION ALERT to read how hateful, intollerant, and bigoted the
homosexual media is in America. The first article you will read is a
report on our HOPE '97 Tour by a writer for a homosexual paper in
Seattle, Washington. Next, I have included a press release by Kerusso
Ministries announcing the next stop on the HOPE '97 Tour - Colorado
Springs. 

Please pray with us that God will bless the HOPE '97 Tour as it moves on
to Colorado Springs. We also ask you to pray that the church will wake
up and become faithful to Scripture by standing against the homosexual
rights movement while at the same time loving the homosexual enough to
give them the hope of the Gospel. 

Thank you,

Buddy Smith, Editor
AFA ACTION ALERT

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ 

ANTI-GAY CHURCH TOUR HITS THE ROAD

by Lisa Neff Contributing Writer
Windy City Times (a homosexual paper in Seattle)

Rolling into U.S. cities between the Village People reunion concerts and
the Tina Turner tour is a peculiar addition to the '97 concert season -
a Christian right campaign to "counter the growing proliferation of
pro-homosexual philosophy" in America. The tour is billed as Hope '97,
but Lesbian and Gay rights leaders are calling the campaign Hate '97. 

"The intent is to provoke controversy," said Alan Klein, national
communications director of the Gay/Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation.
"The Hope tour is truly a hate tour, nothing more." The tour, launched
last week in Phoenix, is cosponsored by Kerusso Ministries and the
American Family Association (AFA), the Mississippi-based organization
best known for its campaign against the National Endowment for the Arts.
Hope '97 national coordinator Buddy Smith said the tour's mission is to
rescue American institutions - business, education, entertainment,
media, politics and the church -from the influence of Gays and Lesbians.

AFA founder and president Donald Wildmon said, "Radical homosexual
activists are bringing America to a very significant crossroads.
Acceptance of indifference to the homosexual movement will result in
society's destruction by allowing civil order to be redefined and by
plummeting ourselves, our children and our grandchildren into an age of
Godlessness. Indeed, the very foundation of Western civilization is at
stake."

Over the next year the tour will travel to 15 cities, where audiences
will hear from entertainers and speakers. The tour's headliner is
Michael Johnston, a Christian right activist, who, after being diagnosed
with AIDS, fell into the ex-Gay movement in 1989. Early press statement
about Hope '97 indicated that the tour's audience would be supporters of
the Christian right movement, but more recent announcements suggest that
promoters want a Gay and Lesbian crowd at the events.

"Hope '97 is not a particularly political tour," Johnston said. "Our
message is one of hope to those individuals who are struggling with
homosexuality and one of warning to America if we continue down the path
of acceptance, affirmation and promotion of homosexuality.

"Frankly the purpose of the rally is not for a bunch of self-righteous
folks to bash homosexuals. It is for those who know that America must
deal honestly with a moral crisis and it's for homosexuals, their
friends and their family members who want to
know the truth," Johnston said.

But GLAAD's Klein said Gays and Lesbians, as well as their friends and
family, should recognize the tour as a promotion akin to the medicine
tent revivals that traveled the country a century ago hawking elixir and
pseudo religion.

"This is really a desperate attempt by the AFA and Kerusso Ministries to
try to get public attention for their bigoted and hateful agenda," Klein
said. "This is such quackery and I would hope it will be seen as such.
These groups, they are nothing less that hate groups akin to the KKK.
They are horrible and destructive to Gays and esbians."

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

PRESS RELEASE

Kerusso Ministries 
P. O. Box 2399
Newport News, Virginia 23609
(757) 872-8878

CONTACT:
Buddy Smith / HOPE '97 National Coordinator
(601) 844-5036 Ext. 218
Tom Pedigo / HOPE '97 Coordinator - Colorado Springs  
(719) 598-9761

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
April 4, 1997

CRUSADER TAKES MESSAGE TO HOMOSEXUALS IN COLORADO SPRINGS

NEWPORT NEWS, VA - Michael Johnston, president of Kerusso Ministries and
a former homosexual with AIDS, will continue to take his message to
homosexuals, their friends and families and the nation. Kerusso
Ministries, in conjunction with American Family Association, is taking
his message of hope and warning to fifteen major U.S. cities including
Colorado Springs during the national HOPE '97 tour.

Johnston commented, "It is time for the church to wake up and take a
stand against the continued forward movement of the homosexual social
and political agenda. It is long past time for those of us who have
walked away from homosexuality to take what we have learned to the
streets."

Johnston intends to confront the pro-homosexual message directly. "Our
message is one of hope to those individuals who are struggling with
homosexuality. Churches and other groups that twist the Word of God in
order to condone homosexual behavior are promoting a lie; they offer no
hope at all. We are also carrying a warning to the church and the rest
of America about the consequences of continuing down the path of
acceptance, affirmation and promotion of homosexuality," Johnston said.

Following an eleven year involvement in homosexuality and infection with
HIV, Johnston rejected his homosexual identity in 1989. His crusade has
included political activism which resulted in the repeal of an
Anchorage, Alaska city ordinance that granted special legal protections
to homosexuals, the ousting of public officials who voted for it and the
adoption fo legislation prohibiting the recognition of same-sex
marriages in the State of Alaska.

HOPE '97 will continue in Colorado Springs with a rally on April 11 and
seminars on April 12 at the Colorado Springs Marriott.

==================================================
"Bringing Truth to the Information Super Highway"
Please tell a friend about the AFA ACTION ALERT
Register on the World Wide Web: http://www.afa.net
****
To subscribe to afa-alert send an e-mail to [email-masked] with
"subscribe afa-alert" (without the quotes) in the body of the message.
To unsubscribe, send a message to [email-masked] with
"unsubscribe afa-alert [email-masked]" in the body of the message.
Do not include the quotes, and replace [email-masked] with your
correct e-mail address.