Subject: NY Community Rallies Behind Progressive Priest
From: [email-masked] (Workers World Service)
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 93 21:00:39 EDT

Via NY Transfer News Collective * All the News that Doesn't Fit

LATIN COMMUNITY RALLIES FOR PROGRESSIVE PRIEST

By Rebeca Toledo
New York

On May 19, the Rev. Luis Barrios was suspended as pastor of St.
Ann's Church, located in the Mott Haven section of the South Bronx
in New York City. He had held the post for only 18 months when the
Episcopal diocese headed by Bishop Richard Grein pulled the rug out
from under him.

Barrios has been outspoken in his demand that the church serve the
Latino community more. A native of Puerto Rico, he has often called
for self-determination for his country and for an end to U.S.
colonialism there.

He has allowed the church to be a center for many progressive and
cultural activities.

Barrios has also performed same-sex unions in his church. He called
the diocesan officials racist and homophobic.

His progressive attitudes have been rewarded with a strong
following. Since the day he was suspended, community activists have
held daily protests in front of both St. Ann's Church and the
Cathedral of St. John the Divine, the seat of the diocese.

On May 30, people from the community disrupted mass at St. Ann's.
They vowed to continue the disruptions until Barrios is reinstated.

As of this writing, the priest has yet to receive a report on why
he was suspended. He has demanded to meet with the bishop to
clarify the situation, and has threatened a hunger strike until his
demands are met.

The diocese has claimed the suspension was due to many things. In
fact, a different thing every day. First it was because Barrios was
too "vocationally immature." Then it was because he allowed a
former priest access to his church.

Later it was that Barrios aligned himself with Puerto Rican
nationalists. After that, it was because he blessed same-sex
unions. Finally, the reason became his "authoritarian leadership
style."

Unlike many other parishes in the city, St. Ann's is financially
dominated by the diocese. It has no independence. At any point, its
funding can be cut.

Grein has said he will not meet with Barrios as long as protests
continue. However, on June 5, the community responded with a
demonstration during a speech by the bishop at a conference on
racism at the Cathedral of St. John the Divine.

After that, Barrios said he and the bishop would meet by June 9.

The on-going protests have been characterized by their unity and
militancy. One of the main placards reads in Spanish and English,
"No More Racism! No More Homophobia!"

This one demand speaks to the heart of why Barrios is being
targeted.

The fight to support Barrios is a heartening response that reveals
the potential for a multinational, united front against right-wing
attacks in New York City.

                               -30-

(Copyright Workers World Service: Permission to reprint granted 
if source is cited. For more information, contact Workers World, 
55 West 17th St., New York, NY 10011. Via E-mail: [email-masked])

+        Join Us! Support The NY Transfer News Collective        +
+       We deliver uncensored information to your mailbox!       +
+ Modem:718-448-2358   Fax:718-448-3423   E-mail: [email-masked] +