Subject: FWD: NIH Genetic Study of Gay Brothers
From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 18 Dec 1996 22:46:20 -0500

PLEASE DISTRIBUTE!!!

FROM:  Department of Health & Human Services
RE:  National Institutes of Health Genetic Study
of Gay Brothers Seeks More Volunteers

Two or more gay brothers in your family?  Biological (non-adoptive) gay
brothers or non-identical gay male twins are invited to participate in a
study sponsored by the National Institutes of Health.  We do DNA studies
of each chromosome region, looking initially for regions where gay
brothers tend to share the same genes.  Our goal is to locate one or more
genes which increase the probability of a man having same-sex
orientation.  Identification of such genes will give us important insight
into
the basis of normal variation in this important aspect of human behavior.

Studying DNA from parents increases the power to detect gene sharing in
the brothers.  However, we will consider families in which parents are
unavailable.  We will contact your parents only if you agree.

We are colleagues of the other NIH researchers who have reported a
genetic linkage in male sexual orientation.  This study is independent of
theirs, and seeks to replicate and enlarge upon that work.  If you have
previously participated with Dr. Hamer, please let us know when you
volunteer.

Confidentiality is strictly protected, under the rules of medical
confidentiality of the National Institutes of Health Clinical Center.  We
are very committed to these rules.  It would be both unethical and illegal
to disclose your name or any other uniquely identifiying information to
anyone not an active researcher in our small group.

Participating brothers and parents sign a consent form, fill out screening
questionnaires, and have blood specimens taken at their own physician's
office or a convenient local laboratory.  We pay shipping expenses and
laboratory fees incurred through your participation in this study, and can
also pay a normal volunteer fee to each participant when information and
blood specimens are completed.

Please contact us if you are a member of a suitable family and want to
participate.  Tell us if you want our reply by postal mail or by E-mail 
We will send a consent form and questionnaires, and instructions for
getting your blood specimen to us.  After you return the forms, we will
telephone you to corroborate some information.  We are always available
to answer any questions.

Elliot S. Gershon, M.D.
Judith A. Badner, M.D., Ph.D.
Juliet J. Guroff, M.S.W.
Clinical Neurogenetics Branch, IRP, NIMH
Building 10, Room 3N218
10 Center Drive
Bethesda, MD  20892-1274
Telephone:  (301) 496-8977 (this number accepts collect calls)
Fax:  (301) 402-0859
E-Mail for this study:  [email-masked]
Visit our Web site at:  http://world.std.com/~neurogen/gstudy.html