Subject: please update info on Right to Marry
From: "Demian" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 1998 10:50:00 +0000

Please substitute the following for the data on page:

http://www.qrd.org/qrd/orgs/partners.task.force/right.to.marry.vi
deo.available

NEW page on The Right to Marry:

= = =

March 17, 1997     Contact: Demian at 206-935-1206
                            or at [email-masked]

Announcement from
Partners Task Force for Gay & Lesbian Couples
Box 9685, Seattle, WA 98109-0685
206-935-1206
[email-masked]
www.buddybuddy.com 

This text may be downloaded from our Web site
or requested by e-mail.
--------------
Please reprint
--------------

VIDEO MAKES THE CASE FOR THE RIGHT TO MARRY
Tape available for public access cable broadcast

A timely video from Partners Task Force for Gay & Lesbian Couples
promotes the civil right of legal marriage for same-sex couples.
Called "The Right to Marry," the video examines the issues
involved the national debate now taking place in the media,
courts and state legislatures.

In the video, written and directed by Partners' co-director
Demian, nationally prominent gay and lesbian leaders spell out
why this right is so important to the community, and what we can
do to win and preserve it.

"Winning this civil right will only be possible if we organize
quickly with the compelling facts fully at our command," said
Demian. "The video presents these facts along with the personal
stories that make this struggle so vital and compelling."

Demian's 72-minute video, "The Right to Marry," features
interviews with Rev. Mel White, known for his book "Stranger at
the Gate" and his hunger strikes to confront Pat Robertson's hate
rhetoric; Phyllis Burke, author of "Family Values: A lesbian
mother's fight for her son"; Richard Mohr, author of "A More
Perfect Union"; and Kevin Cathcart, executive director of the
Lambda Legal Defense & Education Fund.

The video also highlights some of the same-sex couples who have
sued for legal marriage, with personal recollections from Faygele
benMiriam, who sued Washington state in 1971, and Benjamin
Cable-McCarthy, who along with partner Marcial Cable-McCarthy
sued California in 1993.

There have been about 11 unsuccessful suits for legal marriage in
the United States since 1971, but the current case in Hawaii has
a very strong chance of ultimate success. The case and its
implications are vividly described in the video by Susan Reardon,
co-director of the Hawaii Equal Marriage Rights Project (now
called Marriage Project-Hawaii), and Evan Wolfson, co-counsel in
the Hawaii suit and director of The Marriage Project at Lambda
Legal Defense & Education Fund.

Personal stories provide a backdrop for the discussion, including
the multiple weddings of Frances Fuchs and her partner Gayle
Remick, and a Unitarian church wedding.

"The Right to Marry" is not a "balanced" report presenting both
sides of the issue, according to Partners Co-director Steve
Bryant.

"There is only one just side when it comes to civil rights,"
Bryant said. "It wasn't too long ago that couples of mixed race
could not marry in many states. Years from now, the nation will
look back in disbelief that a entire class of citizens was
unfairly excluded from so fundamental a social institution."

"All of our Partners work over the last decade has pointed to
this issue and this video project," says Demian. "It has long
been clear to us that same-sex couples were subject to extensive
discrimination -- not just from being identified as gay or
lesbian, but because we are in same-sex relationships."

The extent of that discrimination was made clear by the national
survey Partners conducted in 1990. Among the 1,266 couples
responding, about 40 percent experienced discrimination in
employment benefits and taxes, about 20 percent in insurance and
membership, and about 13 percent in housing and credit or
banking.

Bryant observed that domestic partner provisions redress a few of
the inequities at select jobs and in scattered localities, but he
called them "crumbs" compared to the whole marriage cake.

"Only legal marriage can correct the full range of discrimination
that same-sex couples face over issues such as child custody,
immigration for one's partner, or the right to claim a partner's
Social Security survivor benefits," Bryant said.

"The Right to Marry," two years in the making, was produced on a
shoestring budget with the help of modest donations. Partners
Task Force has advocated for same-sex couples since 1986 and was
an early proponent of legal marriage.

The VHS (NTSC) stereo videotape costs just US$19 (plus $3 postage
in U.S.) and is available only from Partners Task Force, Box
9685, Seattle, WA 98109; 206-935-1206. Checks, Visa or MasterCard
are accepted. (No purchase orders, please.) Each video ships with
an information sheet on legal marriage and resources.

A special 28-minute version of the video is available at no cost
to air on public-access cable television stations. Partners is
seeking volunteers to arrange for airings on their local
public-access channels. Write or e-mail Partners at
[email-masked] for contractual details.

For more information about the video and equal marriage rights,
contact Partners or browse its World Wide Web site:
www.buddybuddy.com

Besides images from the video, the Partners Web site also has a
list of legal marriage court cases waged by same-sex couples, a
current list of states with laws designed to preempt recognition
of same-sex marriage, results of marriage opinion surveys, an
historical summary of changes in legal marriage, and many essays.
The Partners site is dedicated to the needs of same-sex couples,
and features a wide variety of free information on more than 140
pages of text, images and sound files.
Demian, co-director
Partners Task Force for Gay & Lesbian Couples
Box 9685, Seattle, WA 98109-0685
206-935-1206
[email-masked]
www.buddybuddy.com
Web site has more than 140 documents on committed relationships.