Subject: Mautner Project Announces Design Competition
From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 1995 12:04:39 -0500

The Mautner Project
Mary-Helen Mautner Project For Lesbians With Cancer

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:  

Contact:  Joan E. Biren (JEB) - Awards Committee Chair:
                               202/332-5536  Fax: 202/265-6854

AWARDS NOMINATIONS/DESIGN COMPETITION ANNOUNCED

 (March 16, 1995 -- Washington, D.C.)  The Mary-Helen Mautner Project For
Lesbians With Cancer announces a design competition and the opening of
nominations for two awards to be given annually.  The Mary-Helen Mautner
Awards will premiere September 30, 1995, at the Mautner Project's 5th
Anniversary Celebration Gala.  One award will honor dedicated service or
support by an individual to the Mautner Project for Lesbians with Cancer.
 The other award will be for outstanding contribution by an individual or
institution to the cause of Lesbians and cancer.  

 The Awards Committee is encouraging artists working in any medium to enter
the competition.  The awards can be two or three dimensional and entries can
take the form of proposals, designs, sketches, models or actual items.  For
the two awards, the committee suggests the designs can be similar but not
necessarily identical.  Photos or slides of similar work may be included to
support an idea.  The actual award must be able to be held in one's hand or
easily displayed.  There is no limit to the number of entries from an
individual or group. The winning entry will receive up to $200 toward the
cost of production materials per award.  Entries will be returned if
accompanied by a self addressed stamped envelope.  The deadline for
submissions is June 28, 1995.  Please send them to:  The Mary-Helen Mautner
Project For Lesbians With Cancer, 1707 L Street, NW, Suite 1060, Washington,
D.C. 20036.    

 The winner of the competition will be acknowledged at the 5th Anniversary
Celebration Gala and announced to the press.

 Nominations for both awards are requested by the Awards Committee.  To
nominate an individual for an award, please write a letter with the name and
reason for the nomination to the Mautner Project For Lesbians With Cancer.
 The address is 1707 L Street, NW, Suite 1060, Washington, D.C. 20036.
 Association with the Mauter Project is not necessary to make a nomination.
 Mautner Project staff is not eligible for nominations.  The deadline for
submission of nominations is June 28, 1995.

 Susan Hester, President of the Mautner Project, said "Now is the appropriate
time, especially as we are celebrating our 5th anniversary, to recognize
those who have made a significant contribution to the Project and to our
community.  As our organization has grown, so has the national perception of
the importance of health issues for the lesbian community."

=============================================================

 The Mary-Helen Mautner Project for Lesbians with Cancer was formed in 1990,
six months after the death of Mary-Helen Mautner who envisioned the project
shortly before her death.  Her partner Susan Hester and hundreds of
volunteers have transformed this vision into reality.  The Project currently
furnishes direct services to lesbians with cancer, their partners and
caregivers in the Washington, D.C., metropolitan area and provides education
and information to lesbians about cancer.  The Project educates health care
providers about the special concerns of lesbians with cancer and advocates
for lesbians on health issues in the local and national arena.  For more
information please call the Mautner Project at 202/332-5536.