Subject: HIV TV/radio spots air & Gays keep Clinton below 50%
From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 6 Nov 1996 11:07:34 -0500

HIV focused TV/radio spots air in Tennessee
Gays keep Clinton below 50%-- community shows sbackbone in the face of a
spineless president

ACT UP members Steve Michael and Ann Northrop successfully aired a series of
radio and Television spots in Tennessee that focued on President Clinton's
 failed AIDS policy.   

Clinton kept below 50%....

Editors and publishers of  Gay, Lesbian and AIDS publications around the
country teamed up with progressive AIDS and Gay activists in providing the
necessary community leadership that denied President Bill Clinton and
Vice-President Al Gore a popular majority," states Steve Michael of ACT UP in
Washington, DC.

He continues, "From Boston and New York to San Francisco and Los Angeles,
community leaders called on Gay and Lesbian Americans to vote against the
hateful, divisive and abusive actions of Bill Clinton.  That midnight
signature on DOMA, the Defense of Marriage Act was the straw that broke the
camel's back.

Bill Clinton took us for granted as the self described leaders Gay
organizations based in Washington, DC  kissed the presidental tush.  But real
leaders acroos America successfully convinced Gay and Lesbian Americans to
send a message to Washington.  That message was clear---do not take the Gay
and Lesbian or AIDS vote for granted.

Those Gay and Lesbian Americans that denied the Clinton-Gore Administration a
popular vote majority have proven that we are not a weak people.  That we are
strong enough to stand up against bigotry and hate, even if it comes from the
Democratic Party.

I salute the true leaders of our community, progressive individuals that
believe our lives are more important that the political career of any
politican."

Note to editors:  We will be sending out a detailed op-ed piece that will
"spin" the election in detail.