Subject: December 1995 D/USA DATELINE
From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 1996 09:03:34 -0500 (EST)

December 1995 Dignity/USA DATELINE

1. Holiday Greetings

Dear Members of the Dignity family,

        During this holy time we are called to reflect upon the events we
have shared during 1995.  Much has happened during this year, a time in
which our family has been celebrating Dignity's 25th anniversary.  It has
been a year filled with many joys, for which we are very grateful.  The
camaraderie and friendships have been heartwarming.  Our growth in love
and appreciation for one another has truly been a manifestation of the
Spirit.  The maturity and faith demonstrated on behalf of Dignity after 25
years of existence gave further proof that we were founded upon the
Christian message.  Our 25th anniversary celebration in Los Angeles
brought us together in a spirit of love and sent us out to continue
Dignity's work.  In a Spirit-filled moment, the House of Delegates created
the Renewed Priestly Ministry resolution and Task Force to work for both
equality and justice within Dignity, our church and society.  We honored
the sacredness of our lives and our relationships through our support or
the Marriage Resolution calling for the recognition of same-sex marriages. 
        Throughout the year Dignity spoke prophetically time and time
again.  We joined with nine other gay and lesbian religious organizations
to file an amicus curiae brief with the United States Supreme Court in the
case of Colorado's Amendment 2.  We ensured that our voices were heard
when we testified before the United Nations. Our chapter and national
representatives witnessed again during the October Papal visit when our
message and mission appeared on national television and in the print
media.  Our Solidarity Sunday campaign called upon our members and
supporters nationwide to speak the truth of our lives as Christian gay,
lesbian, bisexual and transgendered people. 
        But amid our joys and successes, there were also times of sorrow
and loss.  We miss former Past President Kevin Calegari as well as
countless other friends and loved ones who have died from AIDS or breast
cancer.  Their passings serve as painful reminders of the work that lies
ahead.  We are continually challenged by the gospel message to stand with
loved ones facing these conditions. 
        We give thanks for all our friends and supporters, especially
those in Call To Action who stand in solidarity with us.  Their constant
affirmation of us, both as individuals and as the organization Dignity,
has served as modern-day evidence of the grace of God working through
people. 
        During this time of renewal and resolution, we wish you and all
the members of the Dignity family a Blessed and Merry Christmas.  We stand
together in thanksgiving for our blessings and in our resolve to work on
behalf of peace and justice.  May the peace of the Christmas season fill
our hearts and remain with us in the New Year. 

	Peace, 

	The Officers & Board of Directors of Dignity/USA

2. National  Board  Action: World AIDS Day Resolution

   Whereas the global spread of the HIV infection and AIDS necessitates a
worldwide effort to increase communication, education, and preventative
action to stop the spread of HIV/AIDS; and Whereas the World Health
Organization has designated December 1 of each year as World AIDS Day and
Dignity/USA sponsors this annual event in an effort to strengthen the
worldwide effort to stop the spread of HIV/AIDS; and Whereas the World Health
Organization now estimates that 18.5 million people have been infected with
HIV and more than 1. 5 million of them have developed AIDS; and Whereas World
AIDS Day provides an opportunity for our chapters to focus on HIV infection
and learning about HIV/AIDS; and Whereas the World AIDS Day 1995 theme
"Shared Rights, Shared Responsibilities" urges the world to a) protect
everyone's right to HIV/AIDS prevention care, b) recognize that everyone
shares the same human rights regardless of their HIV status and c) emphasize
the shared responsibilities of individuals, families, governments and the
faith community to promote prevention,
   Now, therefore, the Board of Directors of Dignity/USA does hereby urge all
Chapters of Dignity/USA on World AIDS Day, December 1, 1995, to take part in
and promote activities and observances designed to increase awareness and
understanding of HIV/AIDS, to take part in and promote HIV/AIDS prevention
activities and programs, thus recognizing Dignity/USAs shared rights and
shared responsibilities in fighting the HIV/AIDS pandemic and fostering
greater compassion and hope.

3. Best of Dignity

        As many will recall, part of Dignity/USA's twenty-fifth
anniversary celebration was a plan to publish a Best of Dignity booklet to
highlight the accomplishments of successes of efforts and to increase
communication between chapters across the country. Although the response
thus far has been minimal, the ideas that have been sent in offer great
ideas for liturgy, AIDS ministry, and programs. What about your chapter's
efforts?  Upcoming issues of the Dateline will feature more ideas. Send
details to National Secretary Ben Boerkoel c/o Dignity/USA, 1500
Massachusetts Ave, NW, Suite 11, Washington, DC 20005. 

        Here's a brief sample of the Best of Dignity in the area of MINISTRY and
OUTREACH:
        At the recent Midwest Region HOD, delegates approved biannual
awards to chapters in the region based on the following categories:
Promotion of Dignity within the Greater Community, Most Improved
Membership, and five Special Achievement Awards in the Areas of Spiritual
Development, Education, Social Justice, Equality Issues, and Social
Events.  The awards, which incorporate Dignity's organizational goals and
draw upon the Statement of Position and Purpose, will be presented at the
region's biennial convention. 

4. Happy Anniversary

Fall River-1; Mid-Hudson-8; Tulsa-12; Boston-23