Subject: Dignity/USA Dateline 11/95
From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 29 Oct 1995 13:39:05 -0500 (EST)

DIGNITY/USA DATELINE: A MONTHLY DIGEST OF NEWS, NOTES, & MORE
NOVEMBER 1995, VOLUME 4, NUMBER 11

FAMILY AIDS NETWORK CASH GRANT
WAYNE APRIL HONORED AS OUTSTANDING CAREGIVER

        On October 22, Mary Fisher announced that Dignity/USA has won a national
award of a $15,000 grant from the Family AIDS Network. The award recognizes
Dignity/San Francisco member Wayne April as one of eight National Outstanding
Caregivers.
        Wayne, an active member of the San Francisco chapter since 1984,
chaired the local AIDS support group from 1984 to 1992, co-chaired
Dignity/USA's National AIDS Project from 1988 to 1992, and helped
establish a support group for Catholic clergy ministering to gay people
living with HIV and AIDS in the Bay Area. Wayne received the chapter's
1995 Pax et Bonum award for his years of devotion and commitment to
supporting those involved in AIDS ministry and those affected by the
disease. Wayne, who holds a Masters degree in social work, is the founder
and current director of the Richard M. Cohen Residence in San Francisco, a
home which fills the gap between independent living and hospice care for
people with AIDS. The Cohen Residence is part of the Hope Housing program
of Dolores Street Community Services, whose leaders opened the doors of
the Dolores Street Baptist Church to Dignity/SF in 1988 after their
expulsion from archdiocesan property. 
        The Outstanding Care-giver Awards are designed to recognize people
who have offered unusually long and dedicated services to persons living
with HIV and AIDS. Each award carries a substantial cash grant to help the
nominating organization im-plement a Caregiver Support Plan to enable
caregivers to participate in further training, find respite, or be
encouraged to persevere in their vital caregiving roles. Dignity/USA's
plan, spearheaded by Tom Orians, National AIDS Project chair, calls for
retreat meetings at seven regional sites to offer rest, renewal, and
spiritual support for Dignity's AIDS caregivers. 
        The Family AIDS Network was founded by artist and activist Mary
Fisher who has long focused keen attention of the important role of
caregivers in the response to HIV/AIDS. The Network exists to fight
HIV/AIDS by transforming concern and awareness into compassionate
commitment. Ms. Fisher, an HIV+ mother of two sons, tours the country to
encourage AIDS prevention and to cheer and support HIV/AIDS caregivers.
Three New York Chapters Mark Papal Visit with Prayer
        Members of Dignity's New York, Big Apple, and Brooklyn chapters and
Dignity/USA President Marianne Duddy joined a vigil of solidarity and a
candle light procession on October 3, the eve of Pope John Paul II's arrival
in New York City. The vigil at the Gay and Lesbian Gay Community Services
Center in Manhattan was followed by a procession of over 100 through the
streets of Greenwich Village to a local Catholic church. Marianne and
organizer Brendan Fay carried a cross bearing a pink triangle in the
procession and then spoke to marchers from the steps of the church. The
event, covered by Gay Cable News, the Associated Press, ABC Radio, BBC Radio,
and ARD German Television, was endorsed by many groups including Dignity, the
Conference of Catholic Lesbians, and a gay and lesbian parish ministry.
        According to Northeast Regional Director Jeff Stone, the Pope's visit
generated an extraordinary amount of interest in Dignity from the media.
Dignity/NY member Rob Gancitano and portions of Dignity/NY's Sunday liturgy
appeared on NBC Nightly News on October 5 in the context of a larger story
about Catholics who disagree with the Pope on various issues. Will Berger,
another chapter member, was interviewed by NBC's Spanish language network
which is broadcast throughout the United States, Latin America, and Spain.
ARD interviewed several chapter members after filming portions of the Sunday
liturgy.  Other members also took part in local NYC television radio
interviews and were interviewed by several local newspapers. In addition,
Jeff was quoted in a major New York Times story about disaffected Catholics.
He commented upon Dignity's home at St. John's Episcopal Church since 1988
and the commitment of the priests who serve as presiders. He noted that many
do so despite the possibility of problems if their bishops knew of their
service to Dignity.

        As he reflected upon the Pope's visit, Jeff noted, "We've had a
lot of media coverage in a short period of time, but this coverage has
come about because of a massive amount of groundwork done by many people
at the local and national levels of Dignity over the past few years. 
We've been highly visible and we've strengthened our contacts in the
media.  They know they can come to Dignity to find out what gay, lesbian,
bisexual, and transgender Catholics are thinking.  This media work is an
essential part of getting our message out to the broadest possible
audience." 

** New Group Begins Work : Renwed Priestly Ministry Task Force**

        The Renewed Priestly Ministry Task Force, which was established by
the House of Delegates at the 1995 Los Angeles Convention, met by
teleconference in early September. Joe Sinico, a member of the Task Force
from the Mountain-Plains Region, provided the following report of the
meeting. "Each region and each chapter have unique qualities and needs" was
clearly voiced in the Chapter Ministries Reference Committee at the HOD
meeting. 

	 This Task Force affirms each chapter's unique qualities and needs.
In the near future, a two part questionnaire will be sent to each chapter. 
The first part, addressed to chapter boards, steering committees, and
leadership teams, contains specific questions on what is now happening in
the areas of liturgical and non-liturgical ministry on the local level.
The second part, which is designed for individual member's responses,
seeks feedback in three areas: roles which may or may not be seen at a
local chapter level; prayer in the life of the local chapter; and a list
of liturgical and non-liturgical ministries. 

        The Task Force hopes that the responses of individual members can be
gathered in  a group setting where all may voice thoughts in an open and
honest manner, much like the setting of the Reference Committee meeting at
the HOD. "There are no right or wrong responses," according to Joe. "Nobody
should feel put into a 'hot seat.' We expect to receive as many diverse
responses as we have members in Dignity."

        Joe also noted, "The purpose of this first round questionnaire is
only for fact-finding to enable the Task Force to make an initial report
and then formulate a second round questionnaire.  The Task Force
encourages participation by all in the Dignity family and sees it as vital
to the two year process."

        The twelve member task force includes : Jerry Deas, Pacific Region
National Director; Sue Kansteiner, CWC; Peggy Burns, New England; Honour
Maddock, Northeast; Mary Coleman Spring, Mid-Atlantic; Bobbee Lee Camp,
Southern Region; Mike Hogan, Midwest; Fenando Macias, Pacific region;
Normand Varier, clergy representative; and an unfilled spot for a Women's
Ordination Conference representative. 

*** Nominate Speakers for 1997 Boston Convention ***

	Here is your chance to suggest candidates for major speakers for
Dignity/USA's 1997 Convention in Boston. The committee needs specific
information about each nominee including the speaker's name and address,
subject matter or topic speciality, and an audio or video tape if available.
Suggestions are due by February 1, 1996.  Send nominations to: Dignity/USA
Convention '97 Attn: Programming, PO Box 956, Back Bay Annex, Boston, MA
02117.

News from October Board Meeting:

        The Dignity/USA Board of Directors met in Washington, DC from October
20-22.  National Secretary Ben Boerkoel provided the following report of the
meeting.
        Before proceeding with its many actions, the Board of Directors welcomed
four new members to the Leadership Team:
        + Peggy Hayes, National Director of the New England Region. Peggy also
serves as Dignity/Boston's President.
        + Jan Fraga,  National Committee for Women's Concerns Chair. Jan, an
Oakland, California resident, comes to the Board as the former Pacific Region
CWC.
        +  Mary Louise Cervone, National Treasurer. Mary Louise is the former
president of Dignity/Philadelphia president and has also served as the
Mid-Atlantic Region's CWC representative.
       	+ Gary Kayler, Interim Mountain-Plains Director.  Gary also serves
as the co-coordinator of the Mountain-Plains Region. 
        
After welcoming its new members, the Board:
    	+ Applauded the media exposure given to Dignity during the recent
	Papal visit. 
   
     	+ Reviewed the final report of the 1995 Convention in Los Angeles and
	thanked the committee for a successful convention.
        
	+ Received for information a report on the 1997 Convention in
	Boston.  Chapters are urged to save money by reserving spots for their 
	delegates at the early registration rate.
        
	+ Provided guidance to the 1999 Convention committee regarding the
	length, site, and cost of the Denver convention. 
        
	+ Established a Membership Task Force to address ways to increase
	membership in Dignity. 
        
	+ Established a committee to coordinate outreach to non-member
	supporters and institutional affiliates. 
        
	+ Received an update on Solidarity Sunday, 1995, and endorsed plans for
	Solidarity Sunday, 1996. In related discussions on Solidarity Sunday,
	National President Marianne Duddy urged each chapter to complete a brief
	report on its local Solidarity Sunday efforts, activities, issues, and
	suggestions for the future. Reports should be sent to coordinator Bruce
	Jarfster, MD at 2634 Pebble Breeze, San Antonio, TX 78232 or faxed
	to him at (210) 545-6906 or sent via e-mail to [email-masked].
	Bruce will compile a booklet to be distributed to each chapter
	next spring that will serve as a planning guide for Solidarity
	Sunday '96. 
        
	+ Discussed the Mulcrone Fund, Dignity/USA's source of membership
	support for people of limited income. The fund, created to honor the
	growth and membership efforts of former National Board member Bill
	Mulcrone, has provided 60 memberships in the past five months. An
	infusion of funds is now needed, so Marianne has asked all to consider a
	donation help support the fund or an additional gift when renewing
	membership. 
  	
	+ Discussed the role of Dignity/USA's communications, including the
	Dateline, the Journal, and Voices and Visions  as well as
	electronic media.  In the near future, Dignity/USA hopes to
	establish a page on the World Wide Web. 
        
	+ Signed on as a co-producer of a Bible study on homosexuality
	planned for June, 1996 as part of the Reconciling Congregation
	Program, an ecumenical effort spearheaded by the United Methodist
	Churches. 
        
	+ Decided to produce a brochure written by Daniel Helminiak on the topic
	Catholicism, Homosexuality, and Dignity for use by chapters and others
	requesting such information.
        
	+ Signed on as a major sponsor of World AIDS Day, 1996 through the
	Dignity/USA National AIDS Project.
        Individual and chapter efforts were also recognized:
        
	+ Rejoicing with Wayne April in being named a winner of a 1995 AIDS
	Caregiver Award from the Family AIDS Network and its accompanying
	$15,000 stipend to Dignity/USA to be used for AIDS Caregiver
	Retreats (See page 1.)

        + Commending Bruce Jarstfer for his work on Solidarity Sunday, 1995.
        
	+ Commending Tom Orians for his work on the Dignity/USA National AIDS
	Project.
       	+ Commending Dignity/New York and Dignity/Baltimore for their work on
	October's Papal visit.
        + Commending the Dignity/Washington, DC choir for its success at a recent
	pastoral musician's conference.

From the Secretary: Take Note:
        The 1995 HOD has asked each chapter to consider endorsing Resolution H-05,
The Marriage Resolution.  After your chapter has endorsed this motion, please
send a statement to that effect on chapter stationery to the national office
so Dignity/USA can forward all the endorsements in one package to HGLTF by
the first of the year.

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY:
Little Rock-5
Northeast PA-17
New Haven-19
Suffolk-19
Atlanta-21
St. Louis-21
Providence-22
and belated Sweet 16 to Dignity/Triangle on its October anniversary!