Subject: Gay Medical Folks
From: Sam Damon <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 26 Aug 1995 07:11:13 -0400 (edt)

> I posted this on another list, but recieved no response.  I was 
> approached by someone doing a thesis on famous historical gay people.  
> This guy wants to know any famous people in the health care field who 
> were gay.  I'm a medical student, but know of no famous gay docs 
> throughout history (or nurses, dentists, psychotherapists, etc.).  If 
> anyone does, I'd be thrilled to pass the info along.  

Perhaps these folks can help:

American Association of Physicians for Human Rights, 273  Church St, San
Francisco, CA 94114 (415) 255-4547.  I believe they've recently changed
their euphemisitc name to reflect more honestly the true goals of the group. 
They were founded in 1980 to offer profesional and political support for
homosexual physicians and medical students.

Lesbian, Gay and Bisexual People in Medicine, 1890 Preston White Drive,
Reston, VA  22091  (703) 620-6600.  They were founded in 1976 to offer
support to gay medical students.  (with such a general name, I would guess
that practicing physicians are welcomed too)

National Organization of Gay and Lesbian Scientists and Technical
Professionals (NOGLSTP),.  I have conflicting address for this place so I
wil omit it.  The group was founded to foster commmunication among people
working in the sciences.  They also concentrate on gay issues in teh
workplace such as privacy, discrimination and HIV testing.  Severla
pamphlets are available.   I think you can reach them with either of these
email addresses:  [email-masked]     or
[email-masked]

Lastly, I'm pretty sure the AMA has its own branch of gay and lesbian
doctors.  I forget their address though.

Good luck.